free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why There’s Always Time to “Take a Break”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As college students, we often forget to take care of ourselves. With the tremendous amounts of stress, homework, extracurricular activities, and work, it can be hard to squeeze in some self-pamper time. But in the long run, not watching out for your physical and mental well-being can lead to your downfall.

“I’m so stressed.” This is probably the most repeated phrase that comes out of a collegiate’s mouth. I get it. School, work, and life in general is just hard. We’re all trying to become real adults–and it’s a struggle. Things will unexpectedly happen in our lives, whether they be good or bad. And if bad, that could only add on to your daily burdens. A lot of students forget to put their bodies and mental health first in line. Of course, school and grades are important. We’re all working towards a degree, I get it, but not carving out some, “me” time will only bring more weight to the shoulders. Pick a day or two, or even an hour in your daily life, and use that time to treat yo’self. Maybe don’t overdo it like Tom, Donna, and Ben (Any Parks and Rec fans?), but if you really wanted to, you could treat yourself to that hefty-priced Batman costume.

Taking some time to relax, enjoy a good movie, read for pleasure makes all the difference for your mental health. Your brain does not want to be fed new information every day for hours at a time. It can get super overwhelming and honestly, it’s probably harder to retain. Putting yourself first makes your body relax, and clears your mind. Taking care of yourself will make you conscious of what you are eating, doing, thinking, etc. I know being a student is arduous (I’m barely alive too), but I also don’t believe in not having enough time to care of one’s self. Despite having an extra busy schedule where you feel like you cannot take a break— please take a break. It doesn’t have to be long. Your body and mind will thank you and you’ll be happier.

Source: crying Batman

A girl studying Journalism at the University of Utah. When she is not writing, Nina enjoys novels, her cute dog, dancing in the air and buying excessive amounts of skincare that she doesn't need. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor