Wellness > Health

Why I Recommend Trying Gym Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The gym can be an incredibly intimidating place, especially college gyms. Between talking to people you know, having people come up to you for the wrong reasons, or having to wait for equipment, your workout may be put on hold. If you’re like me, I like to get my workout done efficiently and effectively, so I have time to do cardio or chat after. The perfect solution for me was fitness classes! Don’t get me wrong, I love the gym. But after getting the best workouts ever, I have been obsessed with my classes. I recommend that everyone try out fitness classes at least once to see how beneficial they can be!

A few semesters ago, I started taking BodyPump at the Life Center. I always would go to the gym on my own, but found that I spent a really long time either waiting for machines or figuring out what to do. Once my school schedule got crazy, it was really hard to find time to get to the gym. When free week came around at the beginning of one semester, I went to a couple classes and really liked BodyPump. The reason why I liked it so much is because you get a full-body workout done in less than an hour! The class doesn’t require any machines, only some weights, which means no waiting around for a certain machine. If you’re like me, sometimes you get distracted or can’t think of what to do next that will be most beneficial for your workout or muscle group of focus. BodyPump is amazing because you follow your instructor. In addition, there are only a couple minutes of break in between tracks, so you get the most out of your workout. I have also tried Yoga, Butts & Guts, and HIGH fitness all at the Life Center! Especially this year with the new class pass, all of the workout classes are the best price you will probably ever get (depending on how often you go). I totally recommend BodyPump as a great repetitive lifting class!

Another bonus to workout classes is they are super fun! One of my friends is a cycling instructor at Torrent, and she makes her classes fun by doing song-themed rides. Some rides will be Justin Bieber, Louis the Child, a mix of 2000’s throwbacks, etc. In BodyPump, the class is exciting because each week will have different style workouts for each track. It’s nice that they aren’t just the same exact movements every time. If you know what gets you most motivated, whether that’s music, scenery, or atmosphere, it’s much easier to perform better at your workout class.

Lastly, I recommend trying out a workout class if the regular gym intimidates you. It sounds counterproductive, but I have found that a fitness class totally helps with this! Sometimes people will try to talk or bother me at the gym when I’m by myself. I also feel more insecure if I’m working on my weakest muscle group (aka arms). In a fitness class, no matter what level of “fit” you are, you’ll be correctly guided by your instructor. Being able to keep up with the class also isn’t a requirement! My BodyPump instructor offers modifications to workouts in case you’re unable to do certain moves. At all of the fitness classes I have been to, it is made very clear that if you need to stop to take a breath, lighten your weights, or pause for any other reason, it’s totally acceptable. In addition, going to these classes can also give you more ideas of workouts you can do by yourself so you can be prepared if you want to workout outside of class.

While workout classes aren’t for everyone, I recommend trying them out at least once. Maybe you’ll find some new workouts you can continue to do on your own, or find a class you, surprisingly, love. Workout classes can be great because of the people, atmosphere, routine, and the fitness itself. You don’t know what you might be missing until you try!

Image Sources: 1, 2

I'm Anna and I am in the Chemical Engineering program at the U! I'm from Seattle, WA and came to Utah for school. Other organizations I am part of are ASUU, AIChE, SWE, the Utah Freeskier Society, and I'm a host at Porcupine!