Simple Behavior Changes that Can Kick Start Your 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s a new semester, new year, and new decade. With every new year, resolutions and goals are always brought up: getting healthy, breaking a bad habit, or overcoming fears. However, according to psychologytoday.com, “less than 10% of New Year’s resolutions are actually achieved”. This is due to the fact that ‘bad’ habits aren’t necessarily replaced by ‘good’ habits. However, replacing a bad habit with a good habit can help you condition yourself to a new lifestyle. Read on for four tips to help you kickstart your new healthy lifestyle.

Drinking More Water

Everyone needs water to sustain their body. However, I do understand how hard it can be to drink your daily eight glasses of it. I love coffee. It’s what I need to wake up in the morning and to keep me going throughout the day. A few months ago, I noticed I was only drinking coffee and nothing else. My lips became dry, my skin was breaking out, and I didn’t have a lot of energy (despite all the caffeine I was drinking). I decided that I was going to switch out my second cup of coffee for a glass of water. After a few days of needing this, I began to feel a lot better and my skin and lips were looking much healthier. Now, you may not be an avid coffee drinker like myself, but try switching out your soda pop for some water. Or ask for a glass of water when you order a beer or wine at dinner. This will make you more conscious and aware of the water your drinking and will create a long lasting habit. 

Exercise

Many resolutions that are made during the new year have to do with physical fitness. Many of those that do jump straight into working out may overdue it. It takes time to get your cardiovascular health back into the swing of things. Instead of running on the treadmill for 30 minutes at the fastest speed you can go, try walking or jogging for 10 minutes and add in short 30 second to 1 minute sprints from time to time. This won’t wear you out as fast, and you will be able to preserve your energy longer. Also listen to your body. If something is hurting and not feeling right, take a break, and talk to a doctor or practitioner to make sure you are healthy enough to get back into the gym.

Food

Now this is similar to water. Try switching out unhealthy foods for healthier options. For example, if you’re craving chips, try switching them out for veggie chips. Or if you’re starving and want to eat your whole plate of spaghetti, eat half and see how full you are after a few minutes. If you’re still hungry, eat more, but listen to your body. It can take up to 20 minutes for your stomach to send a message to your brain that it’s full. Replacing small things in your diet can create a ripple effect for the rest of your diet. 

Meditation

In a past article, I wrote about the pros and cons of meditation pertaining to finals. However, meditation can and should be used during anytime of the year. Being able to medicate can help you physically as well as mentally! I found it’s easiest to meditate as I’m falling asleep. I turn on my Calm App on my iPhone and listen to meditation lessons as I fall asleep. This helps me fall asleep quicker and calmer, especially if I’ve had a long day. Instead of your nightly dose of Twitter, try meditating instead. 

New year’s resolutions can be hard and time consuming. However, once you are able to make small, healthy changes within your daily habits you will find it becomes easier overtime. Don’t run headfirst into your resolutions and goals; rather, take each day at a time and listen to your mind and body. Don’t force it do something that is making you tired, anxious, or hurt. Make sure you are doing these things for yourself.

Source: 1234

Health Education and Promotion Major with an Anthropology Minor; Community Health emphasis. Just your average 24 year old trying to scramble her way through everyday life.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor