Lazy Girl’s Guide to Working Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

This one goes out to all my fellow lazy girls. We all know that working out is the worst (and anybody who tries to tell you otherwise is a horrible liar) but it’s something that we need to do in order to have a healthy mind and body. So if you are like me and can’t seem to find the time or motivation to exercise her is your lazy girl’s guide to working out. 

1. Walk to Your Destinations – Walking is one of the easiest ways to fit in that oh so important cardio into your daily life. Just walking to class instead of taking the bus or driving can have a noticeable impact on your physical fitness without putting in that much extra effort. You have to get there anyway, so you might as well walk. Plus, the fresh air will do you some good. 

2. Experiment With Floor Exercises – For all of my die-hard lazy girls, you will be happy to know that you can get a full workout with ever even getting up. Doing exercises that have you lying on the ground is a great way to make that working out less daunting and more manageable. 

3. Combine Workouts – The less time you have to spend working out the better. That’s why it is a great idea to do exercises that work multiple parts of your body at the same time. You can also try combining cardio and strength training to cut actual workout time while still making all those gains. 

4. Exercise While Studying or Watching T.V. – Fitting in your workouts while doing something like studying or watching Netflix is a great way to distract you from the task at hand. It is so much easier to exercise while you are doing something that keeps your attention because it makes the time go by way faster and you are less likely not to give up if you aren’t bored out of your mind. 

5. You Don’t Have to Break a Sweat – You do not have to endure rigorous high-intensity workouts in order to keep your body fit and healthy. Low-impact exercises like stretching or yoga are great ways to stay in shape without killing yourself while at the same time remaining effective.  

6. Utilize Your Down Time – Being simultaneously busy and lazy can be a death sentence to your physical fitness. So if you are serious about working out find those small moments where you aren’t doing anything to fit in your exercises. This can include everything from doing calf raises while standing line all the way to doing wall sits while waiting for a class or meeting to start depending on your own comfort level. 

7. Improve Your Eating Habits  My final tip is to start eating a healthier diet. If you really hate working out, eating better is a great way to decrease the amount of time you need to spend exercising because your diet is one of the most important aspects of a healthy lifestyle. 

So, if you are a lazy girl who doesn’t have a lot of time or motivation to work out I hope these tips make exercising easier for you. 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor