How to Balance School and Exercise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I get it. Everyone has busy schedules, whether that be getting a load of homework/projects from professors, managing your career, or having tons of extracurricular. However, being busy doesn’t mean that exercise can be neglected. I always hear excuses like, “Oh, I have so much homework, I can’t work out at ALL,” or “How is working out possible when I’m so busy all the time?” Here are some ways that the average collegiate can manage both exercise and school.

Step 1: STOP MAKING EXCUSES

Trust me on this one. When I started as a freshman at the University of Utah, I kept making excuses to not work out. Even in times where I would be lazing around, eating chips off of my shirt or watching Netflix, I would find an excuse to not go to the gym. Honey, that’s why they have the term Freshmen 15.

Step 2: Prioritizing

School should be your top priority. Getting good grades and head start to life in the real world is crucial. Did you know working out is just another step to succeeding? In my experience when I’m feeling down, tired, and a little muddy in the head, I hit the gym to do weight training or set up my yoga mat at home and work on various techniques. After a good workout, I feel more energized, ready to take on the world.

Step 3:  Making Time

Like I said, everyone has their own busy lives, but there has to be that sliver of time where you’re free to do whatever. Keep a planner of what you are planning to do that day and see if you have 15-60 minutes to do a tiny or vigorous workout.

Step 4: Adjusting to Your New Schedule

School and life are unpredictable, so there will be times where an unexpected block in the road will limit you to do a workout you have planned. That’s ok! Being a student entails a lot of stress, work, and more stress. Everyone has off days. Don’t add to the stress by beating yourself up for that small slip in your schedule. As long as you are willing to doing everything you have planned. Give yourself a pat on the back!

Balancing exercise and school is easy. Looking at it from a mile away, it seems like it’s blocking everything you need to do, but when you get closer, you will realize it was all along a task the size of your shoe. Prioritize, make time, and adjust!

A girl studying Journalism at the University of Utah. When she is not writing, Nina enjoys novels, her cute dog, dancing in the air and buying excessive amounts of skincare that she doesn't need. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor