This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

There seems to be a common thought pattern that exercise = gym = weights and treadmills. But, this equality is incorrect. 

As has been proven time and time again, exercise is an essential component in maintaining overall health and well-being. Both in short and long term, exercising has a nearly endless list of benefits. It’s something that we should be doing, but it’s not something that everyone wants to do. 

Our society has molded fitness into a “check the box” on the to-do list item, instead of something that facilitates joy and perpetuates health. As a direct result, we have become incredibly narrow-minded when it comes to exercise. TikTok, Instagram, and other social media platforms have conditioned us to think that fitness means “gym bros” and unrealistic body standards. Accompanying this idea is an utterly toxic “no pain, no gain” mentality that makes exercise out to be hard and painful — and if it’s not then you must not be doing it right.  

The good news is that this narrative of pain and self-destruction is one that we can change. What if we make exercise an activity that is actually enjoyable? One that lights us up instead of beating us down? News flash: exercising does not have to be miserable. In fact, it shouldn’t be. I mean, doesn’t that sound so much better?

Let’s collectively broaden the scope of exercise to include any and all movement. And side note, let’s focus on what your body can do, not how it looks. This approach works to facilitate a mind, body, spirit connection, and adds joy into your exercise routine. Also (unsurprisingly), participating in exercise that we actually like makes us more likely to adhere to a work out program/schedule.

If you’re not sure where to start, that’s okay too. In fact, trying a new form of exercise may improve your brain function through a concept called neuroplasticity. Not only do you get to grow your muscles, but your mind as well! 

There is a never ending list of ways to incorporate movement into your life in whatever way you desire. You can try Tai chi, yoga, cycling, running, weightlifting, zumba, ballet, basketball, soccer, lacrosse, roller skating…. the point is, exercise can be anything that you want. You can choose to exercise in little spurts throughout the day or all at once. Just finding a way to move that fills you with joy is exponentially beneficial. So, the walk that you took to class today? Yep, that was exercise. The frisbee that you threw around with your buddies earlier? Yep, that was exercise too. The multiple-attempt tippy-toe reach to grab the peanut butter on the top shelf? You guessed it — exercise. 

The way our society has defined exercise is too limited and unfair to ourselves. By expanding the idea of exercise as joyful movement, we are more likely to actually want to work out and thereby allow ourselves to experience greater levels of health, mentally, physically, emotionally, etc. 

So, enough reading; now it is time to get up, have a dance party, or do anything else that gets your blood flowing and your smile radiating. Find your joyful movement.

Kayla is pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Health and Kinesiology through the honors college and following a pre-Physical Therapy track. She hopes to travel the world one day and she currently loves to bake and hike in addition to photography and reading.