Style > Beauty

The Best 4 Products for Acne Prone Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If there is one thing that I have many years of experience in, it’s struggling with acne prone skin. I have struggled with severe acne to just some small breakouts here and there since I was 11 years old. I’ve been on Accutane, internal medication, face washes, serums, toners, topical medications, oils, organic plants, whack diets, let’s just say if it’s made for acne, I have already been there and done that. What’s even more frustrating is they tell you as you get older it will start to clear up, but I am 21 years old and still struggle with out of nowhere breakouts, (who are we kidding, I break out because I am a caffeinated, lack of sleep, college student with stress levels higher than Mount Everest) but this is besides the point. I even know grown, beautiful women, who are in their 40’s and still struggle with acne. It’s frustrating being told of all of these miracle products that are apparently known to “clear up your acne in just 6 hours!” and even though we know it’s a lie we still buy it because of our desperation just to get the acne to go away! Not to mention the famous questions and comments, “What’s your skin care routine? or, “Well, do you wash your face at night?” or my absolute favorite, “Maybe if you didn’t wear all of that make up your skin might clear up”. So, basically in a nutshell, I have heard it all, and before I hypothetically explode, here are some recommendations from my experience that might help living with acne be a little bit easier and maybe even get it to calm down or eventually disappear like all of the bobby pins that I have taken out of my hair and left somewhere.

Mario Badescu Acne Facial Cleanser

This facial Cleanser retails for $14 at Ulta and it is worth every penny. This product has Aloe Vera and Chamomile, two natural ingredients that calm and soothe acne inflamed skin. It also contains Salicylic Acid which I don’t even have to explain because anyone who has experienced acne or a break out knows this to be the two words in the cure-all acne bible. This is also a gel exfoliant so it gets rid of built up dead skin cells without so much of the harsh rubbing that can actually irritate the skin even more. I have been using this for over a year and it’s perfect to wash away built up oils, dirt, and makeup that gets on your skin throughout the day. I would recommended to use this only at night, and a gentle moisturizer cleanser in the morning so you are not stripping your skin’s natural oils away which causes dryness and irritation.

Peter Thomas Roth Gel Exfoliant

Now this, this is a treasure that is worth the price. Retailing for $48, this exfoliant is amazing. What I love about this product is that it doesn’t have harsh exfoliant beads in the wash, it’s a gentle gel that visibly rolls and lifts dead skin cells when you massage it into the skin. Multi-action enzymes (pineapple, pomegranate, keratinase) and cellulose effectively peel and help uncover a smooth, fresh, new complexion without drying, irritating or causing undue stress to skin. This is the only exfoliator that I have found for the skin that is gentle and does the job right. Hence why I save up for this months at a time.

BarePro Performance Liquid Foundation SPF 20

I know that this is a makeup product, and most people wouldn’t think that a makeup product could be beneficial to acne prone skin. But let’s be real, the more we break out, the more we want to cover it up, but also don’t want to come home at the end of the day with yet again, A BIGGER break out. And to tell people they can’t wear makeup because they have acne is just a naive thought. Let me share a small fact that most people don’t know: makeup does not make you break out (unless of course you have an allergic reaction); what makes our skin break out is not a proper skin routine morning and night that removes the oil and makeup properly at the end of the day. I love this foundation because you can wear it all day, it lets your skin breathe, it’s lightweight yet full coverage, and it has a natural matte finish. What I love about Bare Minerals is that it really is good on the skin. The creamy liquid contains bamboo stem extract for a naturally soft finish, while papaya enzymes gently improve skin’s texture both immediately and over time. With good-for-skin ingredients that won’t clog pores. “BarePRO® Performance Wear Liquid Foundation is Makeup So Pure You Can Sleep in It®.” This Product retails for $34.

P.S. DO NOT SLEEP IN YOUR MAKEUP, like, ever.

CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion for Normal to Dry Skin

This affordable moisturizer is $12 at Walmart. It’s lightweight, quenches your skin, and is great for wearing all day with, or without makeup. This is the one affordable moisturizer that has ever worked for me without clogging my pores. I have been using this for over a year now since my dermatologist recommended it to me and I highly recommend for those who are trying to save some bucks. It also contains Hyaluronic Acid which is a lubricating, clear substance that’s produced by the body naturally. In the human body, hyaluronic acid is found in the concentrations in the skin, inside joints, within the eye sockets and in other tissues where it helps retain collagen, increase moisture, and provide elasticity and flexibility.

I can’t say that my remedies are the cure to all acne, but what I will say, is out of all of the endless products I have tried, these are the best that I have experienced. Just remember to be patient with your skin, love your skin, take care of your skin. Acne can be a struggle but it happens to the best of us, love it until it gets so sick of you it leaves you on freaking read and disappears.

I am attending the University of Utah and double majoring in Psychology and Communications! You can find me in the mountains or catch me at any local coffee shop typing vigorously on my laptop.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor