This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Hot yoga can feel intimidating. What if I pass out? What if I puke? I’m not sure I want to be that sweaty? These are all reasonable concerns for your first hot yoga class. Hot yoga can sound like an unpleasant, sweaty mess; but it can be a great way to relieve stress, boost your mood, and believe it or not, enjoy your workout. Here are some tips and tricks to make your first class more enjoyable.

Bring a towel.

Please, oh please bring a towel. You might think you know how much you sweat during a workout, I promise, you don’t. Bring a beach towel to lay on top of your mat, and a smaller towel to keep by your water to use for your face. You’ll thank me later.

Make sure you’re hydrated before your class.

You should definitely bring a (large) water bottle into class with you, but it’s important to be hydrated beforehand, too. You’re going to be sweating a lot, and without proper hydration, this brings you at risk of getting sick or passing out. Drink up.

Wear something you can sweat in.

I’d suggest either your most breathable leggings or running shorts. I’ve never seen a guy in hot yoga wearing a shirt, and a majority of women (including myself) typically wear a sports bra as a top. Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in, just know that no one cares what you wear, and you’re going to be wearing those clothes while you’re dripping with sweat.

Eat beforehand, but not too close beforehand.

You’re going to need a good amount of calories in your system to get you through the class (we’ve addressed that you don’t want to pass out,) but eating right before probably isn’t the best idea, either. Doing yoga in a 100-degree room on a full stomach won’t make you feel great. Don’t risk having to excuse yourself to puke, and try to give yourself at least an hour gap between your last meal and class.

Remove your makeup before class.

I’ve made this mistake many times before, and I always regret it. Mascara dripping down my face is not a good look.

You’ll appreciate a change of clothes afterward.

Even if you’re heading straight home to shower, it can feel unbearable to stay in your wet clothes once you’re outside the studio. Just toss some fresh underwear and a pair of shorts into your bag; you’ll feel a lot better.

Most yoga studios offer student discounts.

It’s true! Yoga can be affordable! Just ask.

Have a good time. Relax.

Yoga has it’s cheesy, zen reputation for a reason. Breathe deeply! Sweat away your stress! Release and strengthen those muscles! Be sweaty. Be zen. Enjoy yourself!

1, 2  

Emily Choe

U Mich '21

Emily is the Social Media Director and a writer for the Her Campus U Mich chapter. She enjoys exploring the ideas around love & relationships, popular media, and all things beauty through a feminist perspective.  She/her/hers