stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

9 Reasons Everyone Should Try a Spinning Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Recently, I have found a new love: spinning classes! Going to a gym and cranking out cardio is sooooo boring. I find it hard to drag myself out of bed in the morning to go spend time on a cardio machine. So not fun! As someone who typically hates exercise, it’s saying a lot that I LOVE spinning. It’s so fun to get up in the morning and be surrounded by loud music and happy people. You can even take an evening class, it’s like going out to a club but like, better for you. Not convinced? Here are 9 reasons you need to try spinning.

1. It’s high intensity & you burn a ton of calories

If you’re looking to lose weight, this is a solid exercise choice. I don’t know about you, but I just feel way more accomplished when I complete a really hard workout. Spinning is hard, but it’s so much fun that you sometimes forget you’re working out.

2. It’s a different workout every day

It’s super boring to spend an hour on a treadmill or an elliptical in the gym. It gets monotonous after awhile! Spinning (although you are always on a bike) is different every day. Some days there are a lot of sprints, some days you’re gonna be climbing some hills.

3. It’s a full body workout

Contrary to what you may think, spinning works your whole body. Not only is it working your legs (duh) but also your abs (to keep good form) and your arms (there is an arm workout portion of the class and bike push-ups throughout)

4. You can adapt the workout to your ability level

Spinning with no resistance is really easy, you don’t even have to think about it. The real difficulty in this class comes from adding on resistance throughout. The instructor will guide you through this process, and tell you how much to add on. But, if you’re really struggling, just tone it down a bit! Spinning is made to be your workout, so keep it at the level you want.

5. You get to really get into the music

My favorite spinning studio in Salt Lake City, Rideologie, along with famous spinning studios like Soul Cycle are all about the music. The workout is based on the beat of the song and it rocks to get into that zone. You’re not counting down the minutes till your workout is over while you’re here!

6. It’ll lean out and tone your legs

The combination of cardio and strength training (with the resistance on the bike) will give you some killer legs. You may not be able to walk the next day, but that’s OK.

7. You’ll get that spinning booty

Check out this article for details on how to really target your booty in spin class.

8. It’ll help you get in shape so you can enjoy other activities you love

Getting in shape is never a bad thing. For all of the outdoor activities you love, you can enjoy them more if your body is prepared for them- hiking, skiing, snowboarding, biking, you name it.

9. You leave feeling AMAZING

Even though you might want to die a little in the middle of the class, that feeling you get after you’re done is incredible. My entire day is better when I go to spinning in the morning.

The only real way to know if you’ll fall in love with spinning to is to try a class for yourself. Rideologie even offers your first class free! You have nothing to lose, and you might even walk away with a new favorite exercise.

Thumbnail Image Source, GIF 1 Source, GIF 2 Source, GIF 3 Source, GIF 4 Source, GIF 5 Source, GIF 6 Source, GIF 7 Source, GIF 8 Source, GIF 9 Source, GIF 10 Source, Image Source

I am a sophomore at the University of Utah currently pursuing a major in Communications, with an emphasis in Strategic Communications, as well as a minor in Political Science.  I was previously Miss Teen Ohio United States, and I am now a writer for Her Campus Utah. I enjoy outdoor activities, cooking, volunteering, traveling, and writing. I am a passionate advocate for mental health and suicide prevention.  After graduation, I plan on starting my own business. I hope to inspire more women to enter into leadership positions or even become their own bosses.