This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The number one rule of fitness is that it should be fun. If you’re doing exercise that you dislike, you’ll probably never want to exercise at all. I hate running, but I love HIIT workouts. I’m not a huge fan of the elliptical or treadmill, so I lift weights instead. It’s all about finding what makes exercise enjoyable for you. Personally, I love fitness classes because of the encouraging instructors, loud music, group atmosphere, and the fact that I just have to show up and follow along without any pre-planning on my part. In a big city like Salt Lake, there are lots of fun and effective workout classes all around, and I’ve chosen four of my favorites to share!

CorePower Yoga

When I think of yoga, I think of stretching, yoga poses, and calm breathing and music. But CorePower is much more than that; it is one of my favorite workout classes of all time! CorePower offers ‘typical’ yoga classes where you focus on relaxation and movements to stretch out your body. However, my favorite class is called Yoga Sculpt, where hot yoga, regular yoga, cardio, and weights are all combined. It’s difficult, but it’s so fun. Since most of their classes are done in heated rooms, you are basically guaranteed to look like you just got out of a pool by the time it’s over. It is a killer full-body workout that will force you to move your body and muscles in new and challenging ways. 

Torrent Cycle 

After trying cycling for the first time, I didn’t love it and simply thought it wasn’t for me. However, I eventually tried it a few more times and found myself growing to like it. Recently, I tried Torrent Cycle for the first time, and it is safe to say that I went from liking cycling to absolutely loving it, thanks to this studio. The instructors are amazing, the music is fantastic, and the endorphins that you’ll feel afterward will be at an all-time high. The first class I tried was the “Sunday Detox” with Dan, which was a 60-minute class (typical classes are 45 minutes) that takes place in a heated room (about 80°). I was nervous at first, but when the lights dimmed and the music began, my nerves were replaced with adrenaline. All of their classes are incredible and will challenge you in the best way. You even do some arm work with two-pound weights. I thought I’d barely feel anything since the weights were so light, but boy was I wrong. The small, quick movements leave your arms burning. I highly recommend that everyone give this studio a try — you will undoubtedly leave it feeling like a new, stronger person.

Orangetheory Fitness

Since I’m not much of a runner, this class is probably the most difficult out of the four for me personally. But that’s why I love it! Orangetheory classes are an hour long and combine a half-hour of strength training with a half-hour of cardio. No matter which one you start with, your heart rate will be up and running the entire time. You can even rent a heart rate monitor to see your heart rate and how long it is in the orange, red, and green zones. It is explained to you in the class, but basically green is a lower heart rate, red is higher, and orange is the “goal” heart rate zone. You can choose your speed on the treadmill and choose how heavy you want the weights to be; it’s all up to you! This class pushes you to the limit and will have you feeling strong and powerful.

F45

F45 is one of the newer fitness classes to start becoming more popular and after I tried it for the first time, I could see why. Even though these classes are only 45 minutes, you will be using all of your strength just the same! One of my favorite parts about F45 is that they have dedicated cardio and resistance training days that you can view on their website. I like this because if I’m in the mood to sweat it out with a cardio-based workout, I’ll be sure to go on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday, the cardio-focused days. Saturday is a great day to try your first class too, because those are “hybrid” days, meaning you combine the resistance and cardio for a sweaty and strengthening workout. The set up of the class seems a bit confusing at first, but the instructors explain it very well, so don’t let that intimidate you. F45 is perfect if you’re short on time but want to get in some fun and functional movement. 

If you can’t seem to find a way to motivate yourself to do your own workouts at home or at the gym right now, I’d definitely give any of these workout classes a try. Having other people training with you is something that always makes me feel more motivated and makes working out more enjoyable. With these options and plenty others, I’m positive that anyone can find a form of exercise that makes them excited. Whether it’s peaceful yoga to relax and de-stress or high intensity treadmill sprints that will have you ready to take on the day, you have so many options, so take your pick! 

Senior majoring in Communication and minoring in Spanish :)