Wellness > Health

12-3-30: The Workout Trend All Over Tik Tok

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Who doesn’t love a good Tik Tok trend? Especially if it helps you stay healthy. The 12-3-30 treadmill workout is something I had never heard talked about so much on my for you page, it’s actually insane. Created and shared by influencer Lauren Giraldo back in 2019, this simple workout was able to grow in popularity with the help of Tik Tok. Not only that, she’s been able to find recognition through the app as well. Here’s how and why you should try the 12-3-30 workout for yourself!

summer girl hawaii yoga hiking exercise view high res version
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

12-3-30?

Simply put, 12-3-30 is a 30-minute treadmill workout with an incline level of 12 at 3 miles per hour.  Giraldo’s actual discovery of this method also came out of nowhere, when interviewing with TODAY, she explained that she’s “…not a runner, and running on the treadmill was not working for me… I started playing around with the settings, and at the time, my gym’s treadmill had 12 incline as the max. The three miles per hour felt right, like walking…” (Giraldo, 2021). The idea of working out for just thirty minutes a day and seeing results is an enticing idea but this workout is also challenging. After looking through TikTok under the hashtag 12330, I found that most people who have tried out this routine did it because they hate running and haven’t found a workout that works for them. In addition, many users recommended this trend if you’re starting out on a weight-loss journey or you just want to start working out. What makes this workout popular is its accessibility, a majority of people can try it out.

Person Wearing Brown Bubble Jacket
Photo by Burst from Pexels

Like any other workout, you will get tired and sore, that’s a given. With the 12-3-30 workout, you will definitely be struggling at the beginning.  And even though it may seem like it’s pretty easy, in reality, this workout won’t feel like that the first few times. At an incline of the maximum 12, Giraldo does stress that it takes time and improvements will only happen if you do this workout consistently.  Not to mention, any effort is a good effort. Health experts advise adults to workout at least 30 minutes a day, and by trying this workout, it’ll be a step in the right direction. 

Is it actually worth it? The Washington Post found that an adult weighing 150 pounds can lose up to 283 calories during 12-3-30 and without the incline, it would be around 190 calories instead. It’s a quick calorie burner and it shows.

Whether you are looking to tone, lose weight, workout more often, or just kill time, Giraldo’s workout could be the one for you. Try it out and see if you like it!

Sources: TODAY and Washington Post  

President of Her Campus Utah and Senior at the University of Utah.