This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

As the semester picks up speed, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and stressed about the amount of work and expectations that are being placed on your shoulders. Managing stress can be difficult but all students face it. When it feels like too much, take a break and try one of these strategies to calm your nerves!

Photo By Hossam M. Omar-Pexels

1. Music

Get your DJ on and put together a simple playlist full of your favorite slow paced songs. Acoustic versions of pop songs are a relaxing alternative to upbeat tunes. Once you’ve curated your favorites, you can listen between classes, before exams, in the library or in the car whenever you need to clear your head.

Photo by Bruce Mars-Pexels

2. Dance Party

Grab your girlfriends and blast some classics! When life feels overwhelming, it can be good to get that crazy energy out in a fun way. Having friends join in shaking the stress off dance party can help remind you, that you’re not alone throughout a crazy semester. Bonus points for the best air guitar!

Photo By Mareefe-Pexels

3. Essential Oil Diffuser

After a long day, a little aromatherapy can really help to calm frazzled nerves and soothe your mind before bed. There are so many scents to choose from, so finding something you like is super easy! (My personal favorite combo is lemon and peppermint). Running a diffuser with essential oils while studying can also keep your mind on track as you work.

Photo By Riccardo Bresciani-Pexels

4. The Ocean

One of the benefits of being a URI student is the school’s location in relation to the beach. There is nothing quite like the ocean waves to clear your head. Even once the weather isn’t good for beach days, walking along the shore, driving past or just sitting and watching the vast expanse of water can be good for the soul. It’s a great way to stay grounded and reconnect with nature.

Photo from Pexels

5. Yoga

Yoga can take care of physical and mental health all at once. It is an incredible practice that does wonders to reduce stress. Each class encourages you to clear your mind and focus just on your breathing. If you haven’t tried a yoga class before don’t be afraid to step into a new environment. It’s all about listening to your body and what’s best for you.

Biological Sciences major at the University of Rhode Island. In my free time you can find me dancing, watching football, or cooking vegetarian meals!