sleep aid products hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sleep aid products hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Emily Veith
Wellness

How to Sleep Well: 7 Tips to Try Before Bed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

With finals week coming up and an odd holiday season ahead, the stress of it all can lead us into the late hours of the night. Whether it be rushing to finish that assignment due the next day or simply binge-watching a new show that just came out, our sleep schedules have proven to be draining during this quarantine. The benefits of being well-rested, however, are endless. A good night’s sleep can not only make you feel rested and energized, but also really impact how you go about your day. Here are some tips on how to create a healthy night routine to help you get the sleep you need to conquer the day. 

Organize your responsibilities

There’s nothing worse than going to bed with your head full of messy notes on what you have to worry about the next day. Everything can immediately become overwhelming. This constant anxiety can loom on and prevent you from getting a full night’s rest. A simple way to prevent this is by writing down all your tasks in order of priority, or prepping your work or study station the day before. This way, you’ll get all those thoughts out of your mind without having to worry about forgetting anything during the next day. 

Get rid of your phone

We’ve all fallen into the trap of saying “only five minutes on Instagram” and reemerging two hours later knowing three recipes for baking soufflées. Phones and social media are huge distractions before going to bed that keep you awake long after you’re already tired. Not to mention that bright screens are so harmful to our eyesight. As hard as it sounds, you have to remove your phone from sight at least an hour before bed. This will help you disconnect from everything and keep you focused on you and your night routine.

Self-care!

After a long day of work, you deserve to give yourself some me-time. Take this opportunity to relax and forget about all the stress and anxieties you may have. There’s nothing better than some great skin and hair care to make you feel like you’re on top of the world. This is also the perfect time to experiment and try those things you’ve been meaning to try for a long time. A bubble face mask, a homemade hair mask, a bubble bath with that bath bomb you’ve been saving up! This good hygiene will make you feel calm, relaxed and ready for bed. 

No snacks or drinks! Just water

Plenty of times, I’ve made the mistake of staying up until 2 a.m. having some sugary food or drink right before bed. Besides the fact that eating out of your normal rhythm can cause unwanted weight gain, high levels of blood sugar and will most certainly disrupt your flow! All these before-bed activities are meant to help you feel soothed and calm. High-sugar sodas, candies, or heavy meals will make you stay up. If you find yourself with munchies, try drinking some much needed water instead. 

Take melatonin

Melatonin is the hormone our brain releases to regulate the sleep-wake cycle, which tells our body when it’s time for bed. These gummies will help regulate your body temperature, blood pressure and will bind to receptors in your body to help you relax. Although it is mostly taken for insomnia or jet lag, anyone can take this supplement to feel rested in the morning.  It’s sold over the counter at any drugstore or pharmacy. These gummies work wonders and help you feel energized after a night’s sleep.

Set the mood

Now you can create a calm and safe environment. Put on your most comfy pjs, turn on a night light, light a warm candle, play some smooth ocean sounds, anything to help you forget about everything and unwind.

Relax

Lastly, relax. And when I say relax, I mean relax. Untense all the tense muscles that have been working hard all day. Whenever I feel I’m way too tense I use the military method that’s guaranteed to have you asleep in less than 5 minutes. Slowly take deep breaths and on each exhale relax and untense a certain area of your body. Start off with legs, then torso, arms, and so on. You’ll be fast asleep before you know it.

Next time you’re feeling a bit of insomnia, remember these tips and have a good night’s sleep!

Allison Milián Sánchez is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras Campus. She’s studying General Drama. When she isn't writing, she's either reading poetry, plays or screenplays or dying to get back on stage and acting. Allison Milián is here to change the world through art and its never ending beauties!