Wellness > Health

7 Things You (and I) Should Be Doing RIGHT Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

After receiving a medical diagnosis late last year, it became apparent that I needed to change my life around or else I would be in BIG trouble. Everyone should eat healthily and exercise regularly, but it can be hard when the start of the semester rolls around and you become super busy once again. I’m partially writing this to keep myself accountable to live a healthier lifestyle but also to share some tips and tricks on how to live well. Now there are so many other things that you can do to improve your mental and physical health but here are a few easy ways to make small changes to your day-to-day routines.

1. Compile a list of health recipes

Pinterest is my best friend when it comes to trying new recipes! It’s so easy to search things such as “gluten-free chicken recipe” and 500 different recipes will pop up! Then you can save them to a board for easy access the next time you go to cook!

2. Make lists

Lists can be helpful in every aspect of your life, but I find them most helpful when it comes to planning meals. This way you can see all of the ingredients you have, decreasing the chance that food will go bad (avocados, bananas, etc.). This way you can also start to create meals based on staple ingredients you keep in your kitchen! Lists can also be helpful when it comes to school. Write a list either the night before or in the morning to help plan out your day!

3. Make exercise a priority

The most simple way to live a healthy life is to exercise regularly. I’m not saying go get a fancy gym membership and lift every single day because quite frankly, I can’t even commit to that. Instead, walk to class instead of driving or taking the bus. Do mini workouts in your living room or attend a yoga class if your school offers them. Even things such as ice skating, skiing, swimming or hiking can be your workouts! I honestly burned more calories skiing for a couple of hours than I have to do any other workouts in my LIFE. Try to get at least 4-5 “workouts” a week to keep your heart and the rest of your body happy.

4. Keep a journal

Whether you journal about your thoughts at the end of the night or make a list of your favorite songs to jam out to. Journaling is great for the mind but it also helps to let out your creative side since you can literally write (or draw) ANYTHING you want in it.

5. Positive self talk

I stand in front of the mirror and look at myself every morning. I point out every flaw of mine and only focus on those things. I’m sure everyone has done this at one point in time and it’s time we as a society change this narrative. Instead of looking at yourself in the mirror and harping on the things you don’t like and comparing yourself to others, point out the things we love about ourselves. For every negative thought, replace it with three other positive thoughts about yourself. The more you replace these thoughts, the more they will become habits and they will become natural and start to replace the negative thoughts without even having to consciously think about them. It’s so important to love yourself. After all, our bodies do amazing things for us!

6. Read more

Reading is such a great alternative to mindlessly scrolling through your phone or binge-watching TV. Start out light and try to find your favorite genre by reading different kinds of books. If you like romance, try out anything Colleen Hoover (you literally can’t go wrong) or if you like murder mysteries, try reading “A Line to Kill” by Anthony Horowitz. If you like nonfiction and want to read something that you can incorporate into your daily life, read “Atomic Habits” by James Clear. Reading is such a great way to increase your knowledge but also a great way to unwind and relax after a small day.

7. Start a new hobby

Right now, I am LOVING knitting. It is so calming and therapeutic, all while keeping me off of my phone. At first, it was a little tricky to start but as I got the hang of it, I started zooming! There are so many other little hobbies you could start such as painting, crocheting, making jewelry, sewing, calligraphy and so many more!

just your average nursing major trying to survive:)