This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

If you would have told me two years ago that I would be running and actually enjoying it, I would have laughed hysterically. I was not a runner at all, and exercise was not really in my vocabulary. Having left most of my athletic days in the past (and my talent with it), I never would have thought I would have picked up running. As we grow older, you actually realize that starting to work out is actually kind of important. I realized my freshman year of college that I indeed needed to work out. 

My mom started running in 2010 and was a strong proponent of it. Shortly after, I decided to listen to my mom, bought some running shoes and gave it a try. 

Believe me, it wasn’t easy. At first I was in a lot of pain and always out of breath. I was very slow and half a mile seemed like a lot of work at the time. Slowly but surely I started realizing that I was going farther and farther and it was getting easier and easier.  Suddenly, out of the blue, I was actually looking forward to running? It was all very strange to me. 

As cliché as it sounds, starting to run was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Running brings me such joy and happiness that I really don’t know why I went so long without doing it. Not only is it an affordable sport (buy a pair of running shoes and head out the door), but also you can literally do it anywhere you go, no matter where you happen to be.

So my advice to you is: if you’re looking to get in shape or just looking for something new, you should try running and you might find out that it actually isn’t so bad.