This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

I’m stressed!

Midterm season is upon us and if you weren’t aware, some people can really get swamped with responsibilities during this time.

I am one of those people.

In less than a full week, there’s two presentations, three exams and still regular readings and such. It’s imperative to me that I do well on each of the things listed however allocating my time and truly focusing on one assignment has been my achilles heel.

Getting to know me entails how much I like to talk but also think. Anyone who knows me, knows how much I tend to think and overthink, sometimes to point of being completely nonfunctional.

I first have to plan every step of what I’m doing before I can actually do it. This trait of mine is both a blessing and a curse, I’d like to think.

Even if it weren’t for overthinking, some of the material I’m learning can be a little taxing on its own so there’s another wrench thrown into the mix. I’m not saying any of this to discourage you or encourage pity on my behalf though; I’m about to tell you how I can lighten my worrisome thoughts and yours too if you’re feeling a little consumed with work.

Here I’ll give you a few simple tasks through means of self-care and thoughts to keep in mind when you’re feeling overwhelmed:

• Take a Break!

This requires removing yourself from the work physically and mentally. I find it helpful when I put all the work up, go to another room and most times I call a friend.

Your break is supposed to give you a more clear take on the information you’re consuming when you return to it so try your best to think nothing of it in your time away. Whether you decide to revisit the topic at hand in two hours or two days remember there’s only so much information you can take at once so breaks can be essential hunny!

• Relaxxx

In order to relax you have to let go of all your current anxieties; Any thoughts of negative outcomes a.k.a bad grades and feelings about your capabilities have to become a of the past. This task takes a lot of finding comfort in yourself. In relaxation, finding soothing practices for yourself make a world of difference. Some of the things I’ve done and think would be helpful include:

• Taking a hot cloth to the forehead (works wonders for stress migraines)

• Praying

• Talking the information out (to yourself or others), proving you actually know what you’re talking about

• Laying in the dark/silence

• Fix yourself some tea

• Wash your face or shower! I promise literally cleaning yourself makes you feel so much more

• Stretch

• Sing a song or two, my fav chill and inspirational songs has to be ‘Lover of my Soul’ by Jonathan McReynolds and ‘I am Light’ by India.Arie

• Journal

• Keep Pushing

The most important idea to grasp while going through the tasks (that even I tend to omit at times) is that this assignment, exam grade or even class won’t be the end of the world. Try your best and know that’s all that’s required of you.

You’ll make it through and continue to be ICONIC as I know you can. Pledge to yourself that you’ll give your best effort and all should go well.

Happy Studying sweeties! – You and I both

I'm Jazmyn, an ATLien with a passion for makeup, good communication and cute pictures!