This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I am the type of person who needs a routine. It adds stability to a very chaotic world. However, if you told me a year ago I would wake up at 6 a.m. every day to go to a CrossFit class, I would have never believed you. Now, I rarely miss a WOD (workout of the day), and I am the strongest and most confident I have ever been. 

Over the summer, my sister and I wanted to try something new, so we spontaneously bought a Groupon for HEW, a CrossFit gym in Jupiter. The gym programs Navy SEAL workouts for the average South Floridian. Our first class was a Hero WOD tributing U.S. Marine Corps Corporal Larry D. Harris, Jr. He was killed in a firefight in 2010 while serving as the Fire Team Leader in Afghanistan, and he was awarded the Silver Star for his bravery while serving our country. Hero WODs are tough, but they are meant to honor and celebrate these heroes. Before starting, the coaches briefed us about Harris and took the time to teach us about the man the workout is named after. They encourage you to push yourself and give it your all, just like servicemen and women do. It puts your own challenges and circumstances into perspective. 

As the clock counted down from 10, I remember thinking to myself, “There is no way I can do this.” Yet, the coaches welcomed me wholeheartedly, coached me through all the movements and gave me a sense of security I had never found in a gym before. I was shocked a group fitness class could feel so personable and intimate. 

After my first class, I was hooked. Sweaty, but addicted. I came back the next day and the next. My summer mornings consistently started with a WOD. I went from never having picked up a barbell in my life to lifting one almost every morning. A month in, I noticed changes in my strength, and hence, my confidence. Intimidating movements I once modified were now achievable, and my running endurance improved synonymously. Each workout is still incredibly difficult, but I am more mentally and physically capable of tackling them.

When I moved back to Gainesville this year, I scrambled to find a new CrossFit gym that could replace my favorite one at home (sorry, Southwest Rec). I do miss working out with my sister and the coaches at home, but I am obsessed with Go Primal Fitness in Gainesville. Its competitive fitness, general fitness and strength classes provide various options to grow and demand more from yourself. I even recognized an old HEW member there, making home feel a little bit closer. 

For me, CrossFit is about progress. I still can’t do a strict pullup nor a handstand pushup, but I can do so many things I couldn’t before. I surprise myself in almost every class I take. The WODs give me the opportunity to achieve a new personal record, whether it’s snatching, cleaning, deadlifting or running. 

The thing I love most about CrossFit is the community. In most gyms, I’m self-conscious and refuse to touch a dumbbell. However, in every CrossFit gym I’ve entered, I’ve felt empowered by the people and coaches around me. Every person is there to achieve new personal records and encourage you to do the same. There will always be people around to celebrate your victories alongside you.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about trying CrossFit? Take the plunge. Your mental and physical health will thank you later. 

Give it a try:

“Larry”

For Time

21-18-15-12-9-6-3 reps of:

Front Squats (115/75 pounds)

Bar Facing Burpees

200-meter Sandbag Carry (80/50 pounds)

Alejandra is a fourth-year journalism and education sciences double major at the University of Florida. A self-described grammar and writing nerd, she loves reading and editing the work of others and helping them in their writing process. She's also extremely passionate about climate issues and human rights. When she's not editing for HC UFL or doing school work, you can almost always find her trying a new recipe, working out, watching a movie, or reading!