Fitness With Finesse: 4 Tips to Help Make Running a Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Running — it’s annoying, it’s tiresome, it makes you want to drop to the floor, and it makes you regret thinking it was ever a good idea to begin with. For me, it was very hard going out for runs at first. My best friend would run 3 miles a day and would force me to go with her just so I could make a habit of it. It was excruciating at first, but there’s no better feeling than accomplishing your run (and maybe treating yourself to some binge watching later).

1. Pick your preferred route

Whether it be running around the block, running around the track, or running on the treadmill, make sure to find a route that you are most comfortable with. Running outside can be great when the weather is nice outside and you’re in a safe environment. Treadmills, on the other hand, are useful when the weather outside is not too great. At the end of the day, it’s all about what is convenient for you and what you are most comfortable doing.

2. Set up a schedule

We all have very busy schedules, but I, personally, try to fit in at least some form of cardio in 5 days of the week. The trick is time management. If you set aside 30 minutes of running into your 5-day schedule, you will accomplish your cardio workout and won’t be too overwhelmed.  

3. Get some H2O in your system beforehand

You lose a lot of water once you actually start running, so it’s imperative to hydrate before your kicks hit the pavement. Runner’s World, suggests to drink 8-16 ounces of water before you begin your run. Don’t drink more than 16 ounces because you’ll have extra fluids in your system, thus making your trips to the bathroom multiply.

4. Don’t be ashamed of taking walking breaks

I know at first I felt like such a quitter when I would stop to walk for a block or two, but these breaks are necessary when you feel you really need one. You don’t want to crash or stretch yourself too thin, especially if you’re a beginning runner. These walk breaks should serve as a way to prevent further fatigue and will get you reenergized for the rest of your run.

Some other tips to help fit running into your everyday life are to make sure to wear the appropriate sneakers so you don’t get an injury, find a running buddy to stay motivated and accompanied, constantly stretch and, most importantly, be patient! Stay running, collegiettes.

Photo credit: theodysseyonline.com

Natalie Cardenas is a fourth year Political Science and Spanish major at the University of Florida. She is from Miami, so Spanglish is basically her first language. She enjoys watching Friends, obsessing over stationery, and lives in black leggings. This past summer she interned with Latina Magazine in NYC, and fell in love with the city life. She plans on booking a one way ticket to the Big Apple after graduation.