Fitness With Finesse: 3 Reasons You Can’t Lose Those Last 10 Pounds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Working off the Freshman 15 can be a difficult task, and while the first couple pounds come off with a little diet change and exercise, the last pounds will stick around unless you change a few habits that are keeping them on. Working on those habits and problems will not only help you lose weight, but it will also improve your overall physical and mental health. The first reason you can’t lose those pounds is stress, the second is an unhealthy sleep schedule and the third is drinking too much.

1. Stress
Now, I know we’re all stressed and trying to not be, but it’s one of the main causes for those last pounds sticking around. Stress commonly leads to stress eating, and often makes it harder to stick to a healthy schedule. Stress can be caused by busy schedules or procrastinating on schoolwork. A good solution to this is organizing your schedule and setting up times for you to do work, eat and work out. Along with organization, meditating, having a cup a tea once a day and even taking time to play with puppies can decrease your stress levels. Just a few relaxing steps and you’re on your way to losing those last pounds.

2. Sleep
An unhealthy sleep schedule is not only affecting your ability to lose weight but also your mental health. Going to bed late, waking up late and having an overall irregular sleep schedule can cause you to gain weight. While staying out late and sleeping in until 3 p.m. on the weekend is tempting, that change in your sleep schedule will mess up your body’s rhythm. Instead of these habits, set an alarm for 10 a.m. or earlier every day. Waking up regularly (and early) will keep your body in check, and will make you feel super productive! Knowing you’ll have to wake up early will have you going to bed at a reasonable time, too. Getting up early might seem like a feat, but it’s worth it when the Freshman 15 finally fades away.

3. Alcohol
This one may seem obvious, but as it turns out, alcohol isn’t letting you get rid of those last 10 pounds you’re trying to lose. Drinking pitchers of beer with your friends at Swamp Restaurant is fun, but it’s costing you hundreds of calories. While the drinks are definitely causing weight gain, we can’t forget the drunk food, because we all know that when someone suggests pizza at 2 a.m. you’re definitely eating it. The first solution to this is making skinny drinks. Not only is making these a fun thing to do with your gal pals, but it also makes going out healthier. Next time you’re going out, be sure to avoid Pizza By The Slice and keep a healthy snack waiting for you at home. It might also help to keep a glass of water on your nightstand for an early morning healthy drink.

Once these problems are under control, you’ll start to see the weight melt away. Continue with regular exercise and healthy eating and you’ll be able to keep off the pounds. While getting rid of stress can seem like large and difficult task, and getting a regular sleep pattern is a big undertaking, with a little perseverance and a lot of tea, you’ll be in shape in no time.

Photo credits: www.pyour.com