Don’t be Fooled: “Healthy” Foods That Aren’t so Healthy After All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s safe to say a large percentage of us college girls try our best to eat healthy (with the occasional cheating of course!) So when at the grocery store or eating out, we try to pick the best options. But don’t be fooled; just because it looks healthy, doesn’t mean it really is! 

Here are a few “healthy” foods you should be wary of:

1. Crackers 
Crackers are always thought of to be the healthy everyday snack.  Spread on a little peanut butter or cheese, and you have a quick and easy snack to-go.  But be cautious; not all crackers are actually as great for you as you may think. Next time you are in the grocery store, look on the back of a Ritz Crackers box, and take a peak at the ingredients. You will be shocked to find one of the ingredients is high fructose corn syrup. That is something someone would expect to find in sodas and candy, not crackers! There are plenty of healthy cracker options out there, so do a little research on the healthiest option for you before you throw it in the shopping cart.

2. Multi grain breads 
When walking down the bread aisle, our eyes are immediately drawn to the packages that say “multi-grain” or “whole wheat” and house thick, brown bread. These look nutritious compared to the bland white bread sitting next to them; however, many of these labels are misleading. If the first ingredient says “unbleached flower,” then you aren’t really getting what it advertises. These breads don’t contain the 100 percent whole grains they claim to provide. Whole grains contain tons of fiber, antioxidants, and minerals. They also have other health benefits; so, look for breads that have “whole wheat flower” as the first ingredient listed. A good brand is Arnold’s Healthy Multi-Grain bread, which is made with actual whole-wheat flower and boasts 18 grams of whole grains per slice.  

3. Smoothies 
Skipping the sandwich and instead sipping on a drink jam-packed with fruit must be the healthier way to go right? Wrong! Most (not all) smoothies are absolutely loaded with sugar or even sherbet, which is what Jamba Juice uses in most of its smoothies. If you take a look at the nutrition info for many of these drinks, you’d be surprised at the high numbers. For example, Tropical Smoothie’s “Low-Fat Blimey Limey” smoothie has a whopping 475 calories and 114 grams of sugar! Try picking up Naked Juice smoothies at the store instead. They are 100 percent fruit, with no sherbet, ice cream, or sugar added — just all-natural goodness. Unless you are blending your own smoothies at home or pick up an all-natural smoothie to-go, consider these tasty treats a once-in-a-while thing. 

Nowadays, even what is supposed to be good for you may not be because companies add extra ingredients so their products are tastier and cheaper. Before you make assumptions that the food you are going to eat is “healthy” or not, check the ingredients and nutritional labels.

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2009/09/you_docs_how_to_get_the_most_o_1.html 
http://www.prevention.com/food/cook/20-healthy-smoothie-recipes 
http://www.ishouldbefoldinglaundry.com/2009/12/handmade-for-the-holidays-handmade-by-me.html

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.