5 Places to Run in Gainesville Besides the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

You’ve just finished a massive portion of frozen yogurt from Yogurtology, and you’re starting to regret thinking that $7 worth of froyo was a good investment. Instead of complaining to your friends that your “food baby” makes you look like you’re in your second trimester, make a positive life choice and go for a run. Rather than heading to Southwest Recreation Center or Student Recreation & Fitness Center and risk the chance of running into everyone you’ve ever met, try running someplace a little less traditional. Here are five options that will keep you in shape and keep your routine exciting:

1. Paynes Prairie Preserve State ParkPaynes Prairie is a beautiful state park barely off campus that provides a scenic place to run. The prairie has a few different routes that range from 1- to 9-miles long, so it’s a great option for both beginner and experienced runners. Be careful when you hit the trails though, as Paynes Prairie is known for its very active wildlife. You’re very likely to run into an alligator and probably a couple of wild horses!

2. Loblolly Woods Nature Park Here is another option for a collegiette who likes to be one with nature. Loblolly Woods is a little farther off the beaten path, but it’s definitely worth the trek. Loblolly has a 3-mile route that takes you right through beautifully forested portions of Gainesville. It has remained untouched by local developers and is the perfect place to run if you’re looking for a quick escape from campus life.

3. Lake Alice Lake Alice is one of UF’s most underrated treasures. Hidden just down Museum Road, Lake Alice provides a miniature nature reserve right on campus. If you don’t have a car and can’t drive to an off-campus site but still crave a little bit of outdoor bliss, running around the lake is a great alternative. Grab your roommate or a friend, and head over to Lake Alice for a jog around UF’s very own nature preserve.

4. 34th Street Wall The 34th Street Wall is known in Gainesville for being the mecca of cool graffiti. Groups are constantly gathered there to dedicate a portion of The Wall to their chosen causes, whether it is an organization’s upcoming philanthropy or a friend’s happy birthday wish. Scanning the wall art is a simple way to stay distracted while you’re running, and it may even inspire you to get a little creative once your jog is finished.

5. Fraternity Row If you’re a little less interested in the fitness part of exercising and a little more interested in the fun part, the “frat lap” is the jog for you. Running up Fraternity Row, which happens to be on an incline, is your chance to burn some calories and check out some fraternity gentlemen. This is definitely a route best run with a girlfriend — you might need some backup if a cute guy decides to join your run!

Next time you have a little junk food binge with your friends, don’t get too stressed about having to face the overcrowded gym to run it off. Remember there are a number of places in Gainesville where you can burn some calories and enjoy the view, too! Did I leave out your favorite place to jog? Let us know where you like to run in the comments below!

Photo Credits:www.floridastateparks.orgwww.erinnn.tumblr.comwww.pested.ifas.ufl.eduwww…

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.