Wellness > Health

I Drank a Gallon of Water Every Day for 2 Weeks, Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I first heard of this idea from my mom, who had seen it on social media. I did some research and discovered several different bloggers who’ve tried it. The “challenge” is to drink a gallon of water every day for a couple weeks (though some did longer). The benefits seemed to vary, and some claimed nothing happened at all. Either way, I felt like I wasn’t drinking enough water and thought this was a good way to start. Here’s what I noticed since I started.

1. I pee a lot (obviously).

This was a given. It’s a little annoying at times, but it’s not that bad. As long as I had access to a bathroom, I was fine.

2. I lost weight.

I lost about 2 lbs during the first week. I started exercising consistently, too, but I noticed I had less of an appetite throughout the day. Instead of snacking, I was drinking water.

3. My skin looks better.

I’m not saying that all of my acne and blemishes have disappeared, but my skin looks and feels much more hydrated than it was before. I’ve definitely got that glowing effect going on.  

4. I have more energy.

This was subtle and it sort of freaked me out. I thought I would feel drained since I’ve been eating significantly less, but I don’t. I wouldn’t compare it to drinking tons of caffeine; I just feel more awake and focused, at times.

5. It’s easier to exercise.

I absolutely hate exercising and it’s been incredibly hard for me to keep it up, but since I’ve been staying hydrated it’s been easier for me to do so. It doesn’t feel as hard as before, and now it’s something I look forward to.

6. I crave water more often.

After the first few days of having to remind myself and keep track of how much water I was drinking, I eventually stopped and only started drinking when I felt like I wanted to. I was still drinking around a gallon, but it didn’t feel forced anymore.

Overall, I’ve had a really good experience with this. It’s definitely not necessary to drink an entire gallon daily, but if you’re looking for a way to motivate yourself to drink more, I recommend trying this!

Images courtesy of giphy.com

Thumbnail credit

Hello! I'm Arianna, somtimes Ari, and I'm an English major at University of California, Santa Barbara. I'm one of the many editorial interns here at Her Campus UCSB. After graduating, I hope to work professionally in the editing business,.  
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)