cooling sheet?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
cooling sheet?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Slumber Cloud
Wellness

How to Fix Your Sleeping Schedule: 5 Easy Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Do you ever end up staying up past midnight, maybe even until 5 AM, or are you normal? Maintaining a healthy, consistent sleeping schedule can be so hard, especially for those who may have a job or school or even both. Yes, it is important to work hard, but we shouldn’t neglect our sleep, and no, you can’t just fix it with Starbucks. I get it. It’s easy to end up falling asleep late, but then that leads to waking up late which leads to falling asleep later, and it’s just one vicious cycle. So if you too are having trouble sleeping and want to get your sleeping schedule back on track or at least back to being somewhat normal, try these tips.

Start a Routine

If you want to get your sleeping schedule back on track, it’s important to be consistent with what time you go to sleep. If you sleep around 10 PM every night, your body will begin to get used to that, and this will also allow you to wake up earlier. So, start setting alarms to alert you when you should start heading to bed and when you should wake up. Remember, the golden rule, and try to aim for at least 8 hours of sleep.

Limit Your Screen Time Before Bed

Try putting your phone away before bed; having your phone right by your pillow will only distract you, especially when you get notifications, and try putting it on vibrate. It has also has been proven that the blue light on phone screens can disrupt your sleep, so that’s even more reason for you to put your phone away before bedtime. Maybe try reading instead.

Limit Your Naps

Many of us take “naps” during the day and these “naps” are usually never 15 minutes long. Instead, they can last hours. If you also have this issue, this is probably why you can’t go to bed on time. So, really try to resist that nap, or at least make sure it’s no more than 15 minutes.

Do Your Work Ahead of Time

Let’s be honest we all procrastinate, which means we’re often up late trying to get all those assignments in on time or even cramming before the exam. This can be particularly hard, but if you have the time, do your work in advance. That way you’ll be not only more prepared but also well-rested and ready for the day.

Relax!

If you’re having trouble going to sleep try relaxing before. A helpful way to prep and relax your body for a night of rest is meditating or stretching before. You’ll be able to clear your mind and loosen up those muscles and don’t worry if you’ve never done it before there are many apps that can help. If you’re having trouble sleeping you can also drink tea, invest in a pillow spray (lavender scents are usually best), and read. It may take some trial and error but find whatever works best for you.

Sleeping is great. We all love to sleep, and it is important for our mental and physical health to maintain a healthy sleeping schedule. I know it is easier said than done, but I hope you’re able to try out some of these tips and get some better rest.

Alejandra is a fourth year global studies major with a minor in professional writing. She was born in LA and has moved around a lot eventually ending up studying in sunny Santa Barbara. Her hobbies include writing, drawing, and fashion. She also dreams of owning her own clothing line/business.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus