kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Find Your Perfect Fitness Class at UCSB!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Staying healthy in college can be tough, what with Netflix binges, late-night In-n-Out runs, and lots and lots of Redbull. Luckily the UCSB Rec Cen offers a wide array of fun and sweat-inducing fitness classes that will keep you in shape all quarter. Since there are so many to choose from, Her Campus tried out a few classes so you can save time and get straight to sweatin’. At only $55 for a Blue pass, $70 for a Gold pass, and $35 for Speciality classes, these workout clases are a total steal!

Circuit Training – T 12:10 – 12:50; R 5:10 – 6:00 (Blue or Gold pass)

If you’re short on time but craving a hardcore workout, circuit training is the way to go. It’s available three times a week so you have no excuse NOT to go! It’s a full body workout that includes lunges, planks, squats, and lots of cardio in short, intense bursts. You’ll definitely be out of breath, but the class allows for groups of two or three to work together and maybe even make a new fitness friend! Definitely be prepared to sweat, but don’t worry about fitness level; this class allows for plenty of moderation and no experience necessary.

Hip Hop Fitness – W 6:00 – 6:50 (Gold pass)

I would never be considered a good dancer, even in an alternate universe, so the hip hop dance class was definitely out of my comfort zone. The music was really fun and upbeat, but the instructor didn’t provide much tutorial and the moves were very complicated and fastpaced. Unless you have dance experience, are a quick learner, or simply don’t mind looking a little silly, this class may be a bit too difficult for you! But hey, you may have an inner Beyoncé just waiting to break free. 

Pump It! – R 12:10 – 12:50 (Gold pass)

This class is sure to tone your whole body while also raising your heart rate and burning some major calories. This isn’t any plain, boring workout class — Pump It! uses everything from weights to bands to work those muscles and get you fit. The atmosphere is very upbeat and encouraging, and since the moves are pretty simple, you don’t need any prior fitness experience. Trust me, you’ll be sore after this one. 

R.I.P.P.E.D. – R 6:00 – 6:50 (Speciality class)

If you’re interested in something that will really get your muscles growing, this is the class for you. R.I.P.P.E.D. is an intense workout focusing mostly on weights but also some intense cardio. Since it’s a speciality class, it costs a bit more, but you’re sure to see a lot of improvement over the length of the quarter. This is also a great way to learn new workouts and weight lifting techniques, so when the class ends you can bring your newfound knowledge to the gym with you.

Cardio Kickboxing Sunday 12:30 – 1:30 (Blue or Gold pass)

I may be biased, but I believe I saved the best for last. Kickboxing is a fastpaced workout that not only burns fat and tones muscles, but also throws in a little self-defense training! The music is very retro (think remixed Britney and X-tina) and Ryan is the perfect instructor: loud, energetic, and not afraid to make you work extra hard. You’ll not only leave this class exhausted and sore, but feeling like a total badass who could take on any bad guy. 

For the entire fitness class schedule, click here!

Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.