This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The word “nap” tends to get a mixed reaction from people. It is met either with a smile of relaxation or a disgusted look we tend to give anything associated with laziness. And it’s this second reaction that we might want to rethink.

There is no such thing as being “too good” to take a nap. In fact, people with busy, always-on-the-go schedules are just that much more encouraged to take a break for a bit, ideally one that doesn’t involve an endless scroll on your phone. And honestly, it’s a lot harder than you might think.

People sometimes have a mental block when it comes to naps. They think they need to carve out time in their day for them and get into a certain mental headspace when really all the tools are right there. It honestly takes some sort of mental strength to put the phone, laptop or pen down and close your eyes for a bit, and this is why we can’t possibly be better than a simple nap.

To be clear, however, I am not talking about two or more hour naps that leave you groggy for the rest of the day; that’s a bit unrealistic to do regularly and actually goes against the recommendations of most doctors because it further interferes with the quality of your nighttime sleep, according to the Mayo Clinic. Instead, I’m talking about the quick 10 to 30-minute shuteye that can leave you feeling productive and refreshed afterward. These were a godsend for me right before swim practice when I had just come home from school and had to leave again in 45 minutes.

If we change the perspective with which we view these short breaks, we can realize how healthy they actually are for us and the ways our mental well-being could seriously improve from them. According to the Sleep Foundation, short, quick naps can improve overall learning, aid retention and memory formation and better regulate emotions. They also provide some tips that can help you avoid messing up your sleep schedule like making sure to nap earlier in the day, getting into bed with a clear mind (free of your impending to-do list) and making sure you set an alarm.

Honestly, naps are not that deep. They don’t make you weak, and they can fit into your schedule as long as you’re willing to let them. Keep in mind, however, naps are not an end-all-be-all solution and cannot replace the necessity of a good night’s sleep. If used properly, though, they can be just the thing your mental well-being called for.

Neeti is a UCLA student who has loved writing ever since she was born, whether that meant composing poetry or writing opinionated articles. She loves learning languages and is currently learning her fifth one. She loves water, hiking, biking, playing with her dog, and listening to music.