self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

Reaching Out to Campus Mental Health Services: How I Took the Leap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Midterms week hit me like a brick wall. The first half of the quarter flew by, and suddenly, out of nowhere, I found myself panicking in my dorm’s study lounge. I had a mountain of Norton Anthology literature textbooks in front of me, several deadlines for my writing jobs looming over my head and simply not enough hours in the day. All of the tell-tale signs of my anxiety kicked in, from feeling short of breath to worst-case scenarios running through my mind. I thought back to a recent conversation with a roommate and made the important decision to set aside my work for 30 minutes and call UCLA’s on-campus counseling services

I’m really proud of taking this leap, and I’m hopeful that it will set me on track to improve my academic anxiety this quarter. 

Mtv Help GIF by INTO ACTION - Find & Share on GIPHY
INTO ACTION via Giphy

My choice to reach out for mental health support was a long time coming. Having tried out therapy during high school, I’ve been managing my anxiety on my own since coming to college. During past quarters, I convinced myself that I no longer needed therapy or I didn’t have time in my schedule for sessions. If you are also telling yourself these things, but are still experiencing mental health struggles that are impacting your day-to-day life, I would encourage you to consider reaching out for help. There’s no reason to feel ashamed or like your mental health isn’t “serious enough” to consider on-campus services!

Mtv Self Care Sticker by INTO ACTION for iOS & Android | GIPHY
INTO ACTION via Giphy

When I called the counseling triage, I was pleasantly surprised by how quick and painless it was to get the ball rolling. I simply chatted with one of the staff members, filled out forms for less than five minutes and then got a call back for a more in-depth 30-minute conversation. The process was nowhere near as complex of a task as I imagined, and I felt so relieved as soon as I was greeted by the person on the other side of the phone. I’m truly grateful for the privilege of on-campus therapy services! Just knowing that I was soon going to start sessions with someone who could help me manage my anxiety, gave me a boost of confidence as I spent the rest of the day working on my midterm tasks. 

Mental Health Book GIF by INTO ACTION - Find & Share on GIPHY
INTO ACTION via Giphy

I’m still eagerly awaiting my first CAPS session, and in the meantime, I’m putting extra effort into self-care. I want to remind myself that even though seeking professional help can be beneficial, there are DIY ways I can nurture my mental health. Throughout the remainder of midterm seasons (and on to finals week!), I am trying to prioritize giving myself time to rest, experience nature and reconnect with relaxing hobbies. I can’t wait to see how my first few CAPS appointments go and reap the benefit of my Week 5 moment of clarity.

Kate is a third-year English major at UCLA, hailing from San Francisco. When she's not editing articles for Her Campus at UCLA, she enjoys getting lost in a good book and experimenting with vegan recipes.