This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With finals week on the horizon, I’m determined to put extra effort into prioritizing my mental health. I definitely don’t want to fall into the trap of overworking myself like I’ve done in the past! In between rushing to finish essays and memorizing terms for exams, I plan to incorporate self-care into my finals week routine. Self-care can mean many things, but in terms of my finals week success, it means finding small ways to take my mind off of schoolwork and relax. Here are five easy tasks I plan to complete in order to give my brain a well-deserved break from cramming:

Artistic Outlets

When you’re overwhelmed with studying, it’s easy to feel like a robot with no time for individuality or self-expression. That’s why I plan on scheduling little pauses during my study sessions to dedicate time to artistic hobbies. Recently, I’ve taken up punch needling after seeing it blow up on TikTok. Punch needling is a form of embroidery which I do with yarn, and I think that making time for this craft will be key to my de-stressing. The repetitive process of stitching will provide catharsis, and creating something cute and tangible that I can keep after finals will give me something to take pride in. Squeezing in 20 minute punch needling breaks every day is sure to help exercise another part of my brain and keep me more relaxed.

Going On Walks

During quarantine, I’ve fallen into the bad habit of staying cooped up in my house all day. I find myself forgetting to appreciate the fresh air outside, especially when my schoolwork ramps up. Evening walks (with masks of course!) are definitely a habit I want to hold myself accountable for during finals. Light exercise and time away from my computer screen should help me clear my head and fall asleep easier at night. Setting aside my assignments for long enough to take a stroll around my neighborhood is a self-care practice that has served me well during past final and midterm weeks, and I’m determined to again make use of this simple hack.

Nourishing Snacks

When I’m busy studying, I can’t be bothered to put much effort into my food. Following through with full recipes just isn’t realistic when finals week gets hectic, so I like to plan out lots of snacks and low-ingredient meals in advance. Making sure that I always have options like trail mix and fruit on hand ensures that I have the fuel necessary to focus all through each study sesh, and simple meals like toasts and wraps are easy for me to throw together without added anxiety. Planning out early on what you’ll eat during finals week may seem like an unnecessary habit, but I know that not having to expend energy on figuring out meals makes a huge difference when I’m stressed. Knowing that I’m stocked up on easy, nourishing, foods that I truly enjoy and establishing with myself that there’s no pressure to keep up any sort of complex diet is an easy way to find some comfort. 

Pampering My Nails

Giving myself a quick manicure is always a fun way to brighten up my day when I’m feeling overwhelmed. In just half an hour, I can experiment with pastel spring-themed colors and trendy nail art designs which add some cheerfulness to my finals week uniform of sweatpants and messy buns. As someone who struggles with allowing myself time to decompress, painting my nails is the best pampering option because I physically can’t force myself to take notes and flip pages while I’m waiting for my nails to dry. This quarter I plan to try out retro, minimalist designs from Pinterest as a relaxing mid-finals week treat.

Scheduling FaceTimes

Intense studying can make quarantine feel even more isolating than usual, so it’s extra important to make time for covid conscious social activities during finals week. I, for one, plan on reaching out to friends to have some group FaceTime calls during finals week to check up on one another and make sure that we all feel supported. Digitally reaching out to friends is great because it doesn’t take a big chunk out of your studying time and disturb your flow, but it can make a huge difference to your mood. In addition to arranging some FaceTimes during exam week, I also find a lot of value in scheduling a bigger event, like a virtual movie night with friends during the weekend after finals. This kind of reward keeps me motivated and reminds me that the stress of finals week isn’t going to last forever.

Hopefully, my five ideas for finals week self-care habits inspire you to take care of yourself during exams. There are many ways to cater these rituals to your unique needs so that you have the most relaxing end of the quarter possible. Remember that grades shouldn’t come before your mental health; especially during the craziness of online college, you deserve to give yourself a break!

Kate is a third-year English major at UCLA, hailing from San Francisco. When she's not editing articles for Her Campus at UCLA, she enjoys getting lost in a good book and experimenting with vegan recipes.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.