Wellness

My Thoughts On UCLA’s GroupX Pass After My First Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

What was more culturally significant: the Renaissance or Chloe Ting’s 2 Week Ab Challenge during COVID-19? Since the start of the pandemic, I’ve done my fair share of workouts the internet has been obsessed with including weighted hula-hooping, jump roping and of course the iconic 12-3-30 treadmill walk. But the 12-3-30 quickly became extremely unappealing once I began spending hours every day walking up UCLA’s mountainous terrains. Please, I haven’t walked on a flat surface since getting here. Once I fully quit the 12-3-30 workouts, I bought UCLA’s GroupX pass to test whether this would help me fall back in love with working out.

Before we start, what exactly is a GroupX pass? A GroupX pass is a quarterly membership ($45) that allows you to attend tons of unlimited classes including yoga, dance cardio (Zumba, hip hop, pop music), mat pilates, spin and more. Classes are available throughout the day on weekdays. All you have to do is reserve your spot online and walk into Wooden. 

Yoga Flow/Hatha Vinyasa Yoga

I decided I would show up to my first yoga class with no yoga mat but luckily Wooden does have extra communal ones. The classes start off with brief breathing exercises, stretching and flows (a combination of breath work and movement). As someone who’s never done yoga, this class was pretty difficult at first but I was the only person sweating, so I think I was the exception. Overall, a great option if you want a good stretch and you’re new to yoga!

Total Body Challenge

Total Body Challenge is essentially a HIIT/strength training class made up of three circuits and two cardio “breaks.” You can use dumbbells or just your own body weight based on where you are in your fitness journey. A major perk is that the class is only 50 minutes and the instructor (Brynne) always shows ways to modify the activity. You’ll sweat a decent amount with all the weight-lifting and cardio! I love this class because I tend to only work out my lower body at the gym.

Note: If you’ve been genetically well-endowed, I recommend wearing a high-support sports bra (there’s a fair amount of jumping). 

Spin

SoulCycle dupe? This is the best workout if you’re stressed and need to sweat it out. I’m always drenched in sweat within the first 15 minutes, which is good because the spin classes are only 45 minutes. My favorite instructor (Therese) will tell you the RPM of each song so you can sync up your pedaling with the tracks. Some pros are that it’s an incredible way to work out your thighs and the darkly-lit rooms mean that no one can see my eyebrows start to sweat off. A major con is that the playlists are honestly atrocious (I think it’s EDM?). Also, because of how much you sweat, this isn’t a quick workout that you could fit in between classes. An immediate shower is a must. 

Power Yoga Flow

If there is one thing you should take away from this article, this is it: do NOT take Annabel’s power yoga flow class if you’ve never taken yoga before. I mistakenly thought power yoga flow was the same as Yoga Flow/Hatha Vinyasa Yoga. It is not. I started shaking and sweating so badly during this class I had to check my crotch in the mirrors multiple times to make sure I wasn’t experiencing incontinence. I also had the pleasure of running into multiple Her Campus members during this humiliating experience. My roommate and I were immobilized for multiple days because our muscles were so incredibly sore. I was too humbled and never went back.

Yoga Restorative and Sound Bath

If you decided to ignore my advice and did go to a power yoga flow class, I recommend you immediately book yourself a restorative and sound bath class. All you do is stretch a bit in the beginning and then fall asleep on the floor while the instructor walks around with an aromatic spray and sound beads that make it sound like I’m back in San Diego listening to the tides crashing against the shoreline. I woke up dazed, confused, rejuvenated and hungry all at once. Highly recommended for midterms and finals week.

Mat Pilates: 

Introducing the man I fear most recently…Peter the pilates Instructor. Peter is a no-frills type of man. Peter’s classes have no music, equipment (except a mat) or live demonstrations on how to do the exercise. Instead, Peter walks around and examines each person as they flail their limbs around in an effort to become toned. Honestly, while the ambiance of the class isn’t the greatest (just a lot of huffing, puffing and groans), you will feel sensations from body parts you didn’t know existed. Get ready for literally every part of your body to be sore for a few days. 

Overall, I have absolutely no regrets about my GroupX membership, and I plan on getting one next quarter as well. If you’ve been struggling to stay motivated during your workouts or you’re looking for an activity to do with your friends (that doesn’t require walking to Westwood, a car or spending an absurd amount of money), GroupX might be what you’ve been looking for.

Hannah is a third-year student at UCLA, majoring in Psychology. In her free time, she loves going to the beach, grabbing coffee, and painting her nails.