This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As a psych major, it’s kind of ironic that I used to be scared of therapy. The idea of feeling judged by someone else just didn’t sit right with me. I’d overthink it: What if they think I’m being extra? What if I’m the issue, and I can’t handle it?

But eventually, I had to change my mindset and make therapy less intimidating for myself. First off, Zoom therapy wasn’t going to cut it for me. It was convenient, sure, but I felt like I couldn’t be real – the screen hid my nervous habits, and being vulnerable was just awkward, especially since I did therapy in my dorm.

Turns out, therapists are as different as people. So, finding the right one took some trial and error. My first therapist felt like a bad blind date – no connection. But once I found my current therapist I just felt like she was able to get me out of my shell, which was something I always struggled with.

One big lesson was realizing that therapy isn’t a magic fix for everything. My therapist didn’t have all the answers. Instead, she helped me figure out why I felt a certain way and how to deal with it in the future.

Now I use those lessons in my daily life and get real about my struggle with handling criticism – I blame it on my sensitive Cancer vibes. Exploring those thoughts with my therapist brought serious growth and stability for me.

And surprise, surprise – those cliché wellness tips people are always raving about on TikTok are onto something. Prioritizing self-care, like catching some sunlight every day, makes a real difference. Even on rainy days, opening the blinds is a game-changer. 

Now in my daily life, I prioritize exercise and eat healthier because it makes me feel a lot better. And on those really busy days, I always take some time to journal and to hang out with friends.

Lastly, therapy isn’t just for when you’re feeling down in the dumps. It’s for anyone dealing with life’s craziness. So, let’s break the stigma, talk about it, and make therapy a normal part of taking care of ourselves. Coming from a psych major, I should have some credibility, right? 

You got this, queen!

Jenny is a second-year Psychology major at UCLA, from Reedley, California. She loves working out, going on iced coffee runs, staying updated with the latest celebrity gossip, and watching early 2000's rom-coms. In her free time, you'll likely find her walking around campus with an iced coffee, music blaring, and always shopping on Bruinwalk.