Wellness

Feeling Burnt Out? Here Are 5 Ways To Put Yourself First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

College is freaking hard. Whether you are in your first year or your fourth year, it can get pretty rough because you have so much to balance, including academics, extracurriculars, social life, health and family. Your health is one of the most easily disregarded priorities in college. Why are college students are always stuffing themselves with fried food, caffeine and Emergen-C late at night? The stress that students face results from a lack of proper self-care.

Although it can be easy to forget about yourself amid the stress of midterms and the pressure of deadlines, it is important to still find time for yourself. One thing that you will learn is that you have to put yourself first. Here are 5 things you can do when you are feeling burnt out: 

Exercise

Recently, I learned in a class that exercise releases endorphins, which can result in pain relief. Exercise can also boost your self-esteem and improve your sleep quality. When you are feeling stressed, make a trip to the gym to get your endorphins going and to let off steam. 

Eat healthy food 

Be mindful of what you are putting into your body! Loading on carbs and fatty foods can make you feel bloated and just bad in general. Fill yourself with yummy vegetables, fruits and healthy carbs instead! 

Get a massage

This one is a little bit on the pricier side, but massages have been proven to relieve the tension in your muscles and help you feel more at peace. Although you might not be able to get yourself a massage regularly, indulging in getting a massage every once in a while can be a great stress reliever. Plus, UCLA offers free massages on campus around finals week, giving you a good chance to get rid of that tension. 

Skincare

Your skin is your largest organ! Take care of it while you still can. Do not hesitate to treat yourself to that luxurious moisturizer that you have been eyeing, and slather that baby on! 

Journal

Being able to reflect on your life is one of the greatest abilities that humans have. Light a candle, get comfortable and write (or type – whatever is more comfortable for you) to your heart’s content! Even just writing and getting your emotions out there can help the stress leave your body. 

It is all a cycle. If you take time to take care of yourself, you will feel well-rested. If you feel rested, you will be able to work more efficiently. Working more efficiently will lead to better quality work. Feeling less stressed and well-rested means that you are taking care of yourself. 

No matter how busy you might get and how compressed your schedule might be, always remember that self-care is your top priority. Everything else can wait. Put yourself first.

Lauren is a fourth-year Psychology major with a minor in Asian Languages at UCLA from Studio City, California. In addition to writing as a feature writer for Her Campus at UCLA, she loves reading for leisure, playing with her dogs, and watching The Office.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.