Wellness

Three Healthy Habits to Practice Daily

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Self-care is a word that gets thrown around pretty carelessly (no pun intended) these days. People call a lot of things self-care: wallowing in the bathtub with a glass of wine, wearing green tea face masks, and buying things in the name of treating yourself. But none of these things are really self-care. Taking care of yourself means consistently engaging in activities that encourage self-improvement day-by-day.

Healthy Eating

Ah, here we go with the healthy eating spiel. You hear it all the time, so I’ll keep it short. Your body needs a balanced amount of vitamins and nutrients to keep it functioning at its best. You may look healthy on the outside, but that doesn’t always reflect what’s on the inside. If you want an easy way to get a good serving of fruits and vegetables, try smoothies! You can buy frozen fruit, which doesn’t rot as quickly, and can throw vegetables like spinach or kale in there, as they have relatively no effect on the taste of the smoothie. At the very least, take a multivitamin.

hawaii acai bowl smoothie food yummy fruit colorful
Her Campus Media

Exercise

Exercising is the bane of my existence. I have to carve out time during the day to willfully exhaust my body and put it through stress and pain. There is nothing fun about that. But sitting around all day is unhealthy, and the body will suffer for it. It’s important to set aside some time each day to work out and let your body move. What works for one person may not work for another. Some people like to do cardio and run on a treadmill, others like to weight lift. If you’re like me and despise going to the gym, where it feels like people are constantly watching you, you can easily do workouts in the comfort of your own home as long as you have a yoga mat. Moving around for at least thirty minutes every day is important to stay healthy, and you’ll notice you have more energy and awareness when you do.

silhouette of woman doing yoga pose
Kike Vega

Meditation

Meditation is not the absence of thought, but rather, being aware of the thoughts coming into your mind and then letting them pass, rather than following them to wherever they might lead. This is an awesome thing to practice on the daily basis, as it can give you a much-needed mental break and give the mind time to relax. It’s easy to do, doesn’t require you buying any equipment, and only takes about five to ten minutes out of your day. I find it most useful to meditate for a short period of time every day, as opposed to a long period of time once a week. l do it right before I go to bed, as it helps ease my mind from what has happened during the day and brings it to a place of relaxation so it’s easier to fall asleep.

Building healthy habits can be hard, but they will certainly improve your lifestyle and make you feel better about yourself in the long run. If it’s difficult for you to adjust to change, try implementing these kinds of changes once a week, then a few times, until you can do them ona daily basis. Your body and mind will thank you.

Mikaela is a graduate from UC Davis with a degree in English and a minor in Communication. In her free time she enjoys writing horror stories and playing video games.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!