Wellness > Health

I Never Thought I Would Do CrossFit, but Here I Am

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I first got into weightlifting my junior year of high school. I was in between sports and needed a physical activity to keep me sane. I did not get serious about weightlifting until about 2 years ago. Since then I have become known as a “gym junkie.” I spend most of my free time in the gym, buy copious amounts of protein powder, and even purchased my own set of barbells and plates for home. Going a day without lifting *kills* a small piece of me inside. When I moved back to Davis this year without access to the ARC, I scrambled to find a replacement. The only weightlifting places open were CrossFit gyms so I signed up thinking I would quit as soon as the ARC opened back up. 3.5 months later I am still there, but only because I have become addicted. 

woman weightlifting in gym
Photo by John Arano from Unsplash
CrossFit is a type of high interval training that combines both strength and conditioning with a lot of functional lifting movements. I have always been turned off CrossFit because I am not a huge cardio person. Stick me in front of weights and I am happy. So, I showed up on day one anyway, and it was awful. I was DEAD after the workout, but in a seriously good way. Now that I have been going for 3.5 months, I realize that is how every workout is. I am in the best physical health I have ever been in, lifting more, running more, but each day is still harder than the last. You feel terrible doing the workout, but afterward, you feel so accomplished. 

Sometimes I start to miss a regular gym, with no group classes, freedom to go the pace you want, the ability to breathe through a whole workout, but in all honesty, I do not really want those things. I have become addicted to the way CrossFit whips you into shape whether you are ready for it or not. The workouts are so fast-paced, I feel way more exhausted in the short CrossFit workouts than I ever did in a 2-hour long gym session.  The thought of returning to a normal gym and just lifting weights sounds incredibly boring. Even during open lifting hours at my CrossFit gym, I still find myself doing a WOD (workout of the day). 

Pexels/The Lazy Artist Gallery
Not to be one of those people that only talk about CrossFit, but I only ever want to talk about CrossFit. You beat personal records every week, become close with a small group of people, and have something to both dread and look forward to every day. I think it is safe to say I am hooked.

Lauren Wharton is a third year UC Davis student majoring in Animal Sciences. In her free time, she enjoys weightlifting, CrossFit, eating copious amounts of Halo Top, and spending time with her family, friends, and Shiba Inu, Mable.