This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The life of a college student is anything but relaxed. We are constantly scrambling from studying in the library, to making it to class on time, to work, to the gym, and by the end of the day we have to finish readings, exam prep, and still find time to sleep. It’s a lot to keep track of, and let’s face it, stress is inevitable. However, a packed schedule shouldn’t discourage you from making time for yourself. Massage therapy has been used and practiced by cultures around the world since 2330 BCE to promote peace and tranquility, and the perks of massage therapy reach far beyond relaxation.

Blood Pressure and Heart Health

Long-term studies have proven that with the help of consistent massage therapy, you may see a dramatic decrease in diastolic and systolic blood pressure, as well as cortisol levels. Massage also facilitates circulation, causing new blood to flow into formerly congested areas, lowering your blood pressure. This greatly reduces anxiety and hostility, turning any grump into a happy camper.

Happy Hormones

Massage therapy releases endorphins and boosts levels of serotonin and dopamine, much like exercise. With the release of these happy hormones, your body calms its nerves and promotes the body’s healing and pain management system. With massage therapy, reduced cortisol leads to a rest-and-recovery mode which produces the ultimate feeling of stress-free relaxation. Serotonin levels, which are increased through massage, are crucial for the regulation of mood, sleep and appetite. 

Muscle Discomfort

If you might be carrying extra weight, are exposed to frequent strenuous activity, or have poor posture, you may be putting yourself at risk for uncomfortable muscle tension, spasms, and pain. A professional massage therapist can flush the lactic acid from your muscles, improving the circulation of lymph fluid. This fluid then carries metabolic waste from the muscles and internal organs, leaving you feeling like this:

Breathing Improvement

Many upper body muscles are used for breathing. Education Program Director at Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals, Anne Williams, explains, “When any of these muscles are chronically tight and shortened, they can restrict normal breathing and disrupt breathing patterns. Massage techniques to lengthen and relax these muscles improve breathing capacity and function.” When we have control over our breath, controlling panic attacks and feelings of distress becomes a little bit easier. 

Headache Relief & More Restful Sleep

A recent study showed that people who received massage therapy had fewer migraines and better sleep quality not only during the week of their received massage, but also during the following three weeks.

Fear Not, College Kids!

By now, I’m sure you’re thinking, “Sounds great, but I’m broke!” The third floor of the Health Center offers massage therapy for students with cheaper rates billed to your campus account, starting at $30 for 30 minutes, or $40 for 45 minutes. If you are around the quad, head over to CAPS and take a seat in one of their massage chairs to catch a break between classes. The ARC is also having a Massage-a-Thon coming up October 28 with 10, 30, and 60 minute massages! www.facebook.com/events/1426333590946852 

Another great place to find a deal is Groupon, which can offer deep tissue massages for as little as $40 at local Davis spas. If there is no way you can spend any extra money, there are dozens of videos on YouTube that feature massage therapists who educate viewers on the art and practice of self-massage. This might be a little extra work, but the benefits are so worth it. With midterms right around the corner, a massage could be the difference between easing through one of the most stressful times of the quarter and catching a nasty stress-related illness.

So after you’re done crouching over your desk slaving away creating study guides and writing papers, have pounded your last quad shot Americano, and are left looking like this,

make an investment in your health that will allow you to get through the rest of the quarter. In the immortal words of Donna from Parks and Recreation…

Sources:

www6.miami.edu/touch-research/AdultMassage.html

www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/massagetherapy.html

www.massageenvy.com/benefits-of-massage-therapy/promote-deeper-and-easier-breathing.aspx – Anne Williams Quote

Nora is an English Major at UC Davis who loves Game of Thrones, black coffee, female empowerment, corgis, puns, and the smell of old books. She strives to radiate positive energy to those around her, and to learn something new every day.
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.