Water Exercises To Do in A Swimming Pool

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

As summer is approaching and the southern California temperatures rise, who wants to be stuck inside a gym when the weather is gorgeous outside?  Have you ever thought about taking your workout to the water? Going swimming is one refreshing activity you can do to get a good cardiovascular workout. 

Besides burning calories to lose some body fat, swimming is a great mood enhancer. By going to the pool, you will feel relaxed. It is an activity that a person can indulge in with family and friends. Although going to the pool may not offer the lace-up-your-shoes-and-go convenience of running, all you need is a swimsuit and goggles and you’re set to hit the water.  

Even if swimming laps isn’t your cup of tea, here are some exercising moves to do in the pool will help tone up all parts of your body. The key is that water offers heavy resistance. Ever notice how much harder it is to walk through water than air? Use this to your advantage. If you do not know how to swim, you can still burn major calories and slim down in a splash with these moves. So let’s beat the heat and tone your body with a swimming pool workout.

1. Water Leg Raises

Using the water as resistance is an effective way to maximize your abdominal exercise in the pool. To do this, stand in the water with your back to the side of the pool. Lean onto the edge of the pool with your elbows (you will use your arm strength here). While you have your hips and back against the pool, squeeze your abs as you raise your legs. Try to keep your legs straight, lift them up to parallel with the floor of the pool, and then slowly lower down. This is a great exercise to work your lower abdominal. Do this for 10-15 reps!

Tip: If you do these exercises quickly, you can raise your heart rate and increase your cardiovascular strength and overall endurance.

2. Water Crunches or Sit-ups

To do this, your body is up and the lower half is almost floating on the surface of the pool. Put your legs up on the deck of the pool up to your knees. Lie flat in the water, just do normal crunches and squeeze your abdominal, using that muscle to pull your upper body up of the water. You don’t have to put your head under water, just do crunches above the water with your feet on the edge of the pool is fine. You should feel the burn because you are using your abs to support your body against the wall. Do at least 10 to 15 repetitions and rest. The water will actually help you get a better range of motion than you would on the ground.

Tip: When you put your legs up, you may place a towel under your feet so that you won’t slip off the wall easily.

3. Making Waves

Keep your head above water and hold onto the edge of the pool with both hands. Extend legs behind you at water level with both feet and knees together, then kick like a dolphin. Initiate the motion with abs and hips and transfer it through thighs to knees and finally to feet. Kick as hard and as fast as you can and you are going to do this for at least 30 seconds, trying to make as many waves as you can. If you get tired, don’t quit! This is really good for your stomach area, legs, and back. Do this until you feel the burn! 

4. Dolphin Kick

The dolphin kick is a common water workout for swimmers. It gives you an effective abdominal workout while simultaneously targeting your glutes and leg muscles. Make sure you practice stretching beforehand. To do this, face the edge of the pool and hold on with both hands. Bring your body up so it is floating face down in the water. Keep your legs together, and kick them up and down in a fluid motion like a dolphin. The whole-body flexibility is key since it requires doing a body roll underwater to propel yourself forward. For swimmers, this motion isn’t just about the legs; a good Dolphin Kick requires their entire body to crack like a whip, creating a fluid wave that starts at the chest and increases in amplitude as it travels all the way through the toes. Don’t worry about your form if this is your first time. Try to perform this kick for 30 seconds, then rest. 

5. Water Treading Running

Treading water is an excellent exercise for your entire body. You want to be in the area where you can’t really touch the bottom (if you can’t swim, try this with floaties). You’re going to be extending your legs as if you’re running in the water. Now this is a bit crazy, because it really gets your heart rate up quickly. It is going to feel like you are doggy paddling almost, but pump your legs. You are using your lower body and moving your arms to help keep you afloat. Make sure to bend your knees and extend your legs like you are running. Do this for 30 seconds at least. Take a few seconds rest and repeat this movement 5 or 10 times until you get tired. You will notice a major good difference in your arms. Your abs and your core and everything is working too. Once you finish this exercise, you should feel your muscles tightening.

6. Water Squat

You can do squats in the pool, too! This exercise will help you tone your thighs, legs, and butt. Stand in the pool with your feet aligned with your hips. Lower your torso by bending your knees and pushing your butt back into a sitting position. Then squeeze your glutes to bring yourself back up to starting position. It can be painful but it works!

Not only is this workout good if you have a private pool, but you can also do it when you go on a vacation. Most wellness centers and your college apartments have pools where you can swim. Now you can go try these few techniques to get a total body workout without breaking a sweat. What are you waiting for? Go to a pool and start now!

Formosa is a transfer student from the Bay Area, majoring Literary Journalism and Public Health at the University of California, Irvine. In addition to being a Contributing Writer for Her Campus UC Irvine, she is also a staff member at KUCI 88.9 FM, UC Irvine's radio station. Her hobbies include going out for adventures, dancing to Latin music, swimming and sunbathing. With a passion, she enjoys being at the edge of all the beauty nature brings, getting dirty in the sand, meeting new people and write about them. When she is alone, she spends her free time going to the beach, reading books and listening to alternative rock and reggae music; she honestly can't go a day without music and the beach. Follow her on social media to stay connected with her! Instagram: @justgowiththeflowc333 Tumblr:  http://liketheislandformosa.tumblr.com/
...