Wellness

Self-Love From Zero: What I’ve Learned About Gaining Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Being vulnerable can be scary, but it can also be helpful for yourself and others. As a senior in college, it’s so important to notice how your mental health is doing, especially during the pandemic. For a while, I allowed thoughts of uncertainty to reflect a reality that didn’t support my sense of self-worth. I knew I had to work on self-love and confidence but I didn’t know where to start. However, once I began spending more time on myself, I noticed so many changes. Here’s what I’ve learned: 

#1: You have to want to put in the work.

When you’re not feeling your best, it can be easy to abandon your hobbies or even avoid daily activities. Working on your mental health is probably the last thing on your mind. But right now, you need to remember you only have yourself in this lifetime. Therefore, you should make working on yourself an ongoing priority. Simple ways to put in the work include daily affirmations, morning smoothies, journaling, meditations, morning/night 10-minute yoga, and (my favorite) a nighttime book. These are all basic habits that helped me start putting myself first. However, they won’t work for you unless you are willing to try.

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

#2: Healing is a critical part of the process.

Through healing, you can learn a lot about yourself. You don’t have to be spiritual or religious to know that healing is a crucial part of life. The frequency at which your energy vibrates attracts similar frequencies on the same wavelength. That’s why you should start working on those high vibes. In order to do so, I’ve been listening to high-frequency music and Reiki healing music, along with healing frequencies. There are plenty of frequency-lifting playlists, meditations, and music on Spotify, YouTube, and other platforms. The point is to start healing from the inside out. I created this feel-good playlist on Spotify if you’re interested.

#3: You’ll discover new parts of yourself.

By putting in the work and beginning to heal, you’ll be on the path to self-discovery. Right now is the best time to try out new hobbies or activities you’ve put aside. For my new random hobby, I started watching Cobra Kai and learning karate from YouTube, apart from listening to new music and journaling more. By trying new things, you open yourself up to more healing and excitement. Try writing down intentions for yourself and your life and what you can do to get there.   

Woman journaling
Photo by Alexandra Fuller from Unsplash

#4: Lastly, you need to check in with yourself.

It’s so important to check in with yourself and keep a journal for your feelings. Remind yourself how far you’ve come, whether in mental health, in school, or in any other area. Keep moving forward and being kind to yourself, to your mind, to your body, and to your soul. Listening to both your heart and mind will allow your self-worth to keep growing.

For those struggling, there are tons of mental health resources on the University Health Services website.

Vivian Rivera

UC Berkeley '21

Vivian, a senior at UC Berkeley, delves deep into the realms of English Literature. When not immersed in books, she channels her creativity into art and crafting unique tea blends. A fervent consumer of podcasts centered around self-growth, Vivian finds inspiration in dance and the art of journaling. Her culinary adventures lead her to explore new recipes, all while maintaining a keen interest in health-related articles.
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.