Here are 6 Tips For Anyone Making Those Diet-Changing New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

I hate to say it, but New Year’s is coming up pretty quick, and that means people are going to make promises to themselves that they probably can’t keep, or want to develop habits that they will probably drop after a few weeks. The most common problem is not doing your research before drastically changing your diet plan or working out a LOT more.

Here are 6 tips for what you should (and shouldn’t) be putting into your bodies when you make those drastic life changes, or just when you want to improve your lifestyle and fitness performance.

1. Pre-Workout: Creatine

What is it?

Creatine is commonly found in red meat and seafood, but is made in your body in the liver, pancreas, and kidneys. According to the Mayo Clinic, creatine is converted to phosphocreatine, and then is stored in your muscles.

Why should you consume it?

Creatine is taken for short bursts of energy, and is most beneficial to sprinters and weightlifters. I take it as a preworkout and if I end up not working out afterwards, I’m just jittery. Creatine is just like caffeine.

2. Pre-Workout: BCAA

What is it?

Branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs) are critical for muscle endurance, recovery, and growth during your workout. Most BCAA powders contain Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine.

Why should you consume it?

Just like Creatine BCAAs give you a boost in energy. It’s basically a bunch of science-y terms saying that this stuff will basically make you feel like Captain America, er… Captain Marvel?

3. Whey Protein

What is it?

Whey is the liquid part that’s left over from curdling and straining milk. Milk has two types of proteins, casein and whey. Whey is added to protein shakes, meals, and protein bars, and can add more protein to your meal. Whey is especially abundant in the nine essential amino acids, such as BCAAs like leucine, talked about in the last section.

Why should you consume it?

Women who plan on getting pregnant in the future should take whey protein to stimulate growth in humans. According to Lonnerdal in 2003, human breast milk contains 60% whey, while cow’s milk only contains 20%. Lonnerdal also says that whey is “likely to be involved in the development of the intestinal mucosa and other organs of newborns” (Lonnerdal, 2003).

Whey Protein can also contribute to the development of lean muscle mass, while contributing to weight loss. (Miller, 2014)

4. Egg Whites

What is it?

Ok, if you don’t know what an egg white is, you need to go to the store and start eating more eggs. Egg whites are mainly 90% water and 10% protein. But they contain 67% of all of the entire protein in an egg (Health Line).

Why should you consume it?

Egg whites are very important to include in your diet if you want to lose weight, build muscle, and still have the same protein intake during the day. If you still want cholesterol and fat, that’s where the egg yolk comes in. Eating just the egg white though will leave you consuming less nutrients, as compared to eating the entire egg.

5. Multivitamins are NOT a suitable replacement for a good, healthy diet

What are multivitamins?

For me personally, I eat a well balanced breakfast (on most days… not including the poptart I ate today), and still take vitamins. Multivitamins can be found in the vitamins section at the supermarket, and contain all of your basic vitamins to keep your body healthy.

Why should you *not* consume them?

While multivitamins are very healthy, they should just be taken as supplements, and not an entire meal. Your body still needs sustenance so your stomach can properly digest some food. Multivitamins on top of a well-balanced meal can greatly improve your health.

6. Soy-based protein is one of the best ways to consume your protein if you decide you don’t like eating animals anymore.

What is soy-based protein?

Where are my vegans at? Soy-based protein can be found in meat substitutes, like tofu, tempeh (made from whole soybeans) and TVP (made from the by-product of soy oil). It can also be found in edamame. Soy is also considered a complete protein, similar to animal proteins.

Why should you consume it?

If you are considering moving from an animal-protein full diet to a vegetarian or even a vegan diet, consuming proteins is one of the most important things people often forget about. In a vegetarian diet, people can still consume animal proteins, but may lack the creatine element like we talked about earlier. However; in vegan diets, animal proteins are cut out entirely, making soy-based products that contain those complete proteins very important.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

“Sometimes you want to have a very productive Saturday to feel that you are in control of your life, which of course you are not.” -Tina Fey, Bossypants Jamie Bridenstine... How do I even begin to explain Jamie Bridenstine. Jamie Bridenstine is flawless. She has two Fendi purses and a silver Lexus. I hear her hair's insured for $10,000. I hear she does car commercials... in Japan. Her favorite movie is Varsity Blues. One time, she met John Stamos on a plane. And he told her she was pretty. One time, she punched me in the face. It was awesome. Jamie Bridenstine is a 4th year undergrad at the University of Wyoming, earning her B.A. in Communication and a minor in Military Science. Her favorite move is Mean Girls... and any movie with Tina Fey in it. She enjoys deep conversations about politics, procrastinating on group projects, and watching The Office over and over again. Jamie has the cutest dog in the world, Timber, and is ready to take on the world after college. She will be heading up to Washington after graduation to pursue her career in the military... and hopefully her graduate degree in Public Relations.
Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.