This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

It’s pretty much a guarantee that most of us will experience anxiety at some time in our lives. If your anxiety is constant or you’re struggling to cope with stress, it might be time to visit your doctor. But if you’re just feeling a little more anxious than usual, here are some reasons you may be feeling a little on edge.

1. You start every morning with coffee (or tea)

Ever heard of the caffeine-induced buzz? As amazing as starting your day with a caramel macchiato or a breakfast tea latte sounds, people forget that coffee and tea aren’t simple beverages. They’re psychoactive drugs that might actually put you in a bad mood if you’re a little more prone to worry and stress. Don’t worry, there are plenty of other beverage options, like the pumpkin spice crème or hot chocolate, which both contain much less disruptive amounts of caffeine than coffee.

2. You have a phone

Apparently, keeping up with social media alerts can take up your stress level up a notch, especially if you’re a woman. Researchers found that women who frequently used their phones had more disrupted sleep patterns, which led to heightened anxiety over time, while excessive phone use in men led to higher levels of depression. Since us millennials are the highest demographic of social media users, we’re at the highest risk for anxiety. Every once in a while, it might be a good idea to put your phone aside and enjoy some fresh air or hang out with a friend.

3. You are, have been, or plan to be a college student

The jump from high school to college can be extremely nerve-wracking, especially when it comes to adjusting to living in a dorm community with a bunch of unfamiliar faces, when you’d rather be in your room back home snuggling with your dog. It can be tough to make all these decisions about your major, and figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life. While keeping up with school and friends, it can be tough to balance self-care with the demands of university life. But if you’re having trouble coping with the changes and stresses that come with college, consider keeping a thought journal, or signing up for a few student clubs that sound interesting, to take the load off the academics.

4. You’re not confident

Self-love is the key to everything, my friend. It’s the best way to combat dumb pressures from society, school, your work environment, or even well-meaning friends. Feeling incompetent or unlovable can make you more vulnerable to symptoms of anxiety like panic attacks, heart racing and poor concentration. Practicing self-care, meditating often, getting enough sleep regularly and eating healthy are great ways to start feeling more confident. For many people this is enough, but if you’re having problems with persistent low self-esteem, make sure to talk to a counsellor or a friend.

5. You haven’t hit the gym (in years!)

Even though the idea of hitting the gym is probably giving you more anxiety right now, over time the benefits are amazing! Exercise is vital for maintaining mental health and decreasing tension and stress, as well as giving you self-esteem a boost. You don’t even need a gym membership—jogging, walking, biking, or joining a dance class are just as beneficial.

6. You’re on medication

Those stress headaches might actually be a side effect of any medication you’re taking! For most women, birth control pills help women deal with menstrual cramps, menstrual migraines and even reduce pesky acne flares. But for a small percentage of women, birth control pills can actually make your mood worse. The hormones being introduced can lead you to experience mood swings. So if you’re taking any medication and feeling a little anxious, make sure to talk to your doctor about it.

7. You’re an artist

While you may not be the next Leonardo da Vinci, there’s a good chance you’re a highly creative person if you’re prone to overthinking and stress. Studies show that while people who are more neurotic tend to be more susceptible to stress and anxiety, they were also more likely to be involved in creative pursuits or working in artistic fields. Try channeling your emotions into an expressive form of your favorite genre of music, or starting that novel you’ve been thinking about writing.

Grace Dada

U Toronto

Amateur at life, expert at worrying over tiny things that don’t really matter. Can be found with her nose in a good book, gulping down a caramel macchiato or (occasionally) attending lectures.
These articles were only edited by me. To read articles written by me, click here.