Wellness

How a Fashion Influencer is Destroying Diet Culture One Step at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

The impact an influencer can have is often underestimated; very few would expect that a single influencer could turn an entire industry upside-down. Emily Gellis Lande, who was a relatively unknown fashion influencer before this summer, has completely upended the diet industry by exposing the damaging effects of diet culture. 

Gellis Lande’s investigation into the world of diet culture began with the well-known celebrity gossip Instagram account Deux Moi. Deux Moi shared a story from a follower who said that Tanya Zuckerbrot, the founder of the F-Factor diet, told her to stop taking antidepressants in order to lose weight. After Gellis Lande saw the post, she posted on her own account, asking her tens of thousands of followers if they had had any similar experiences with Zuckerbrot. Thus, Gellis Lande’s spiral down the rabbit hole of F-Factor and diet culture began. 

The F-Factor diet is based on the premise of consuming a certain amount of fiber daily. The diet advertises the ability to maintain a normal lifestyle of going out and drinking alcohol while still losing weight. Zuckerbrot launched her own line of high-fiber products to incorporate into the diet, such as protein bars and protein powders. Unfortunately, hundreds of people who followed the diet and consumed the products (mainly the protein powders) have noted extreme adverse side effects. Some broke out in rashes and developed headaches; others had mild to extremely severe gastrointestinal issues. Many clients required hospitalization due to the severity of their gastrointestinal symptoms. 

Gellis Lande continued to post the stories that she received from F-Factor clients. As Gellis Lande’s following grew to more than 200,000 followers, the stories became more and more intense. The more Gellis Lande posted, the more former F-Factor clients realized how many others were struggling just like they were. 

Gellis Lande not only focused on the physical damage the diet could cause, but also ultimately revealed the mental effects of such intense dieting. Clients were taught to analyze all of their carbohydrates in comparison to white bread; many clients still fear eating bananas because they were taught that one banana is equal to a piece of white bread, and bananas were therefore not allowed on the diet. 

There were hundreds of clients who communicated their negative experiences to the company, and their comments and emails were allegedly deleted or ignored

In response to the controversy, Zuckerbrot hired Lanny Davis as her lawyer. Davis is known for representing Bill Clinton and, more recently, Michael Cohen. F-Factor also released a letter on their website stating they have received far fewer complaints than were sent to Gellis Lande, and they take all complaints seriously. 

The conflict has been ongoing, and it has not been a pretty fight. Gellis Lande said on her Instagram that she had to hire her own legal counsel and has now handed the case off to a “higher authority,” claiming that once the story breaks, people will be shocked by how damaging the case has become. 

As information about F-Factor declined on Gellis Lande’s page, she began to receive complaints about other popular diets, such as All-In by Teddi Mellencamp. All-In was founded by one of the stars of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, Teddi Mellencamp. All-In provides each client with a personal coach; clients are responsible for sending reports of their meals and workouts to these coaches. If clients fail to remain on the program, they are kicked out without refund. The diet encourages an intake of less than 1,000 calories per day – leaning closer to 500 calories per day. Clients reported developing severe disordered eating as a result of following this diet, revealed in the stories sent to Gellis Lande. Gellis Lande reposts nearly every story shared, exposing the diet industry’s money-making motivations and long-lasting negative effects. 

While some view Gellis Lande as no more than a fashion influencer, she has taken on the role of an investigative journalist this past summer. Her determination to expose the damaging effects of diet culture has helped hundreds of victims realize they’re not alone in having been impacted by dieting. 

The way that Gellis Lande’s story has unfolded has been unpredictable. She has since ventured into exposing the cult-like fitness environment of workout programs and gyms such as Soul Cycle, Equinox, and Jabs by Gina. Not even Gellis Lande knows where this road will take her in the future, but audiences will undoubtedly tune into her journey as she has become a spokesperson for many.

Rachel is a first year student at UPenn. She is planning to double major in Communications and Health & Societies. She is from Long Island, New York. She loves celebrity gossip, everything health and fitness related, and a great book.