harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Fight Seasonal Depression (Without Pills)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Hello there! Are you depressed? Here, take these pills to make you feel better! May cause hair loss, suicidal thoughts, stronger depression, blood clots, nose bleeds, stomach cancer, fainting spells, whooping cough, oh – and your head may explode.

Ok, let’s get back to reality. This is just ridiculous! Why on Earth would you want to take pills that may or may not make you feel worse? Especially when there are many ways to fight depression from your home, safely. I have collected a few methods that have helped even myself get through tough times during the winter.

1. Surround yourself with positive people

This may sound corny but it is something to take seriously. Do you have a friend that screams “toxic”? Someone who is always putting you down and pointing out your flaws? Ditch them! You don’t need them anyway. A toxic relationship is a relationship that needs to be terminated. Stay close to the ones who truly care. Go out and have some fun with your girlfriends. You deserve it! In the end, they will be the ones pushing you forward instead of kicking you down. They are the ones who will be proud of your successes instead of jealous. Remember, you are NEVER alone. Your family and friends are your true soul mates.

2. Eat Healthy, Start Exercising

Seriously, do it! Once you start you’ll never want to stop. Both your body and mind will feel good. Endorphins will come shooting through your veins and you’ll become less depressed throughout time. Forget about fear. Fear is something you created. The only fear we are actually born with is the fear of loud noises and the fear of falling. That’s it! So go ahead and take that chance. What is the worst that could happen? You get a toned butt and a buff body? After your workout you can reward yourself with a delicious smoothie. My favourite is strawberry mango with a dash of cinnamon and fresh almond slivers. Yum!

3. Avoid Sad-Song Lullabies

Everyone should avoid Taylor Swift and Dallas Green when they are going through some sort of depression. If you want to get happy listen to some exciting music with major chords. Create a playlist that you can put on if ever you are feeling upset. Songs can really hit you where you hurt or they can make things better. Sometimes you just need music.

5. Do things you love

I know whenever I am upset the one thing that I enjoy doing is watching movies. I just love Bride Wars, it takes me back to a happy place. Do you love hiking? Skating? Writing music? Find what makes you happy and do it!

6. Ditch the catastrophic thinking

It’s just a bad day not a bad life. I know the feeling. You break a heel, a car splashes you with mud on the way to school, your make-up is smeared, and the bus never shows up on time. It’s the end of the freaking world! Actually, it isn’t. The best thing you could do for yourself is laugh it off. You’re too concentrated on the bad things in life that you forget about the good. Don’t ever let yourself get in the way of you.

Winter is tough. It’s wet, cold, and dark. It’s ok. You, your friends, your family, colleagues, and professors – they can all help you. Stick with the ones you love, get fit and eat right, dance your ass off, do the things you love, and eliminate the catastrophic thinking. Next thing you’ll know, you’ll be at the beach in summer sipping margaritas!

Photo credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6