It’s Self-Care SZN: Here’s How I Care for All Eight Dimensions of Wellness During the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Winter break is around the corner, and so are finals. As your schedule piles up, it’s important to continue to practice self-care. I have adopted the eight dimensions of wellness into my self-care routine, and I want to share my best strategies to tackle each element. The dimensions of wellness consist of the following, and they are all equally important: emotional, physical, occupational, intellectual, financial, social, environmental, and spiritual. Let this article be your cheat sheet for optimal self-care in all aspects of your life during the busiest of times.

Emotional

There are many ways to practice emotional wellness, such as finding enjoyable activities, processing your emotions with someone you trust, or simply unplugging. I personally enjoy turning off all of my electronic devices and coloring, as it gives me the space to relax. As a public health student, I am currently working on an anatomy coloring book, simultaneously learning about the human body while I color. I’ve also gotten into bullet journaling, a creative way to reflect on emotions and daily habits. Do something that you truly enjoy that does not relate to the pile of work on your desk. 

Physical

I don’t know about you, but I’m always tired after a long day of classes and/or studying. My elaborate gym routine doesn’t seem as exciting or achievable these days. It’s important to get at least seven hours of sleep each night, and overexerting yourself physically can lower energy levels and contribute to poor sleeping habits. I am a huge fan of my new SoulCycle at-home bike where I am able to take spin, strength, and stretching classes ranging from 20-60 minutes. A great alternative to this would be the fitness classes offered by UMass Campus Recreation. From spin classes to yoga, there are plenty of free on-campus fitness classes led by other UMass students at all times of the day. 

Occupational

Some of us may be working part-time jobs to keep up with the financial burden that comes with college. Internships also count, as many of us need them for experience and/or academic credit. If you are currently working, it is important to have a work-life balance. The best way to do this is to budget time that you are either at work or doing work for your job and ensure that you are making time for yourself as well. I have experience with remote internships while in college, and I find that coming up with a schedule and sticking to it is very effective. As long as you’re meeting all of your deadlines, feel free to wait until the next business day to reply to emails. 

Intellectual

You have enough going on with your classes right now, so learn about something you enjoy. I have enjoyed learning how to cook through meal kits such as Home Chef and watching documentaries on topics that interest me. Reading the news is a great way to stay up to date with current events and click on the stories you want to learn more about. Don’t forget to stay curious outside of the classroom when you have a chance. 

Financial

College is expensive, so there are lots of great opportunities to help you stay on track financially. I highly recommend working with the UMass Smart About Money (SAM) financial wellness organization. SAM offers tips and tricks on budgeting, investing, and more. You can meet with qualified peers that will help you navigate your individual financial situation and check in with you along the way. 

Social

Making time for friends and family may seem impossible during such a busy time, but your social wellness matters in the big picture of your success. Join a club, go out with friends, or even set up a study group.

Environmental

Speaking of social environments, it is important to stay healthy within our physical environments as well. I like to go home every month or two since I live within a couple of hours of the Amherst area. Whether you go home for a weekend or plan a getaway with friends, a change of scenery is the way to go. Getting outside for fresh air during the school day, as well as finding new study spots on and off campus will also address environmental wellness. Make sure you are always in a safe environment in which you feel comfortable and energized. 

Spiritual

You don’t have to do anything out of the box to practice spirituality. I participate in regular mindfulness practices before my head hits the pillow every night. My favorite mindfulness resource is Insight Timer. It’s a tool for mindfulness practices, as well as a journal section, timer, and even short breathing exercises. 

Self-care works differently for everyone — these are only suggestions to add to your self-care routine. Whether you have zero or five finals this semester, do your best by ensuring that you can be the best version of yourself. Good luck!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Darya Iranmanesh

U Mass Amherst '24

My name is Darya Iranmanesh (she/her) and I am a junior public health and political science dual degree student at UMass Amherst. One fun fact about me is that I lived in Washington DC for a semester and absolutely loved it. My long-term goal is to advocate for those with disabilities through policy work (and hopefully make it back to DC!). I have been writing since 2017, with my first published article in Education Week in 2018 discussing my experience with the special education system. I was born with a rare genetic disease that has left me significantly visually impaired. I hope to spread awareness through talking about my experience with blindness and disability in general. I really enjoy reading (Colleen Hoover is my favorite author), music (Taylor Swift fan here!), and indoor cycling. I hope to become a spin instructor someday in addition to my other projects. My favorite TV show is definitely Grey's Anatomy and my favorite movie is Mean Girls, a classic! I am a member of the UMass Persian Student Association and am part of the Pre-Law society. I hope you enjoy my articles, as I am excited to share my thoughts on all things lifestyle and social change with you!