This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We Collegiettes love to get a good workout in, especially since we’ve been blessed with a beautiful recreational center. 

Our daily routines usually include a lot of cardio on the elliptical, treadmill and the bicycle. A lot of us aren’t aware that we should also be lifting. I know that a lot of female college students avoid the weight room for various reasons. Some avoid the weight room because they believe that it can make you bulky and have “thunderously strong thighs” (and there is nothing wrong with strong thighs) but weightlifting is a great way to combat belly fat, stress, heart disease, and cancer. A study in Women’s Health Magazine shows that “only about a fifth of females strength train two or more times a week.” A Penn State researcher has conducted a study to show various modes of weight loss through different exercises. The results were that lifters lost 6 lbs more fat than people who strictly only did cardio. Lifters also lose pure fat while in other forms of exercise you lose fat and muscle. “Muscle loss may drop your scale weight, but it doesn’t improve your reflection in the mirror and it makes you more likely to gain back the flab you lost. However, if you weight train as you diet, you’ll protect your hard-earned muscle and burn more fat.” (Women’s Health Magazine)

These are all great reasons for hitting the weight room! Burning pure fat sounds awesome and you also want to keep the hard earned muscle on your body rather than accidentally burn it off in a workout. You would be a fool to not go and “pump some iron.” However, when I asked some fellow peers why they do not go lifting more often, the usual answer always has something to do with feeling intimidated by the frequent lifters and the sounds of weights clashing to the floor… But don’t let this discourage you, here are some tips to not be so intimidated.

1. Look up some workouts and have a plan beforehand

Educate yourself on what the proper lifting techniques are before you step in there. This will be good for two things: you won’t look so foolish trying to copy whatever everyone else is doing and more importantly, you won’t hurt yourself. Weight training can be pretty dangerous if you don’t do it right. Always make sure you stretch beforehand, start with the lighter weights and slowly progress to heavier ones when you feel comfortable. 

2. Go with a friend

Have a friend there for support! It would be a win-win if you get a friend who already lifts to go with you. That way you will feel less uncertain and they can teach you more workouts.

3. Listen to a great pump up playlist

Go on your Spotify account and follow whichever playlist will get you up and moving! Whether it’s hip hop or EDM, listening to your favorite music is a very easy way to make a place or situation more comfortable.

4. Wear a cute workout outfit

Because when we look good, we feel good too. And after we lift, we will feel even better. Feeling Myself 

Happy workout Collegiettes!

Cover Image: 1 Pictures and Gifs: 11 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
Jessica Chien

U Mass Amherst

Jessica is currently a Sophomore at UMass Amherst. She is a studio arts major who enjoys drawing, drinking coffee and having dance parties in her dorm room. She doesn't like to be rushed when it comes to eating and she listens to her favorite song on repeat when she's walking to class.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst