This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Although mental health awareness month is officially coined for the 31 days in May, every day should be a day where you focus on your wellbeing, happiness, and overall health.

Now more than ever, with the stress and anxieties that come with remote learning, a worldwide pandemic, a presidential election, and increased tensions all across the United States, it is extremely important to make yourself and your mental health a priority.

self care isnt selfish sign
Photo by Madison Inouye from Pexels

The University of Massachusetts Amherst provides its students with numerous resources regarding mental health ranging from the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (CCPH), to clubs like Active Minds, or even planned events like Wellness Wednesdays.

After becoming more interested in my own mental health, brainstorming how I can keep my spirits up during these trying times, and attempting to be the most educated and supportive person I can be, I decided to investigate some of these resources, and I was thoroughly impressed, especially with the club, Active Minds.

According to Campus Pulse, Active Minds is a “national organization that empowers students to speak openly about mental health in order to educate others and encourage help-seeking.” Their goal is to “remove the stigma that surrounds mental health issues and create a comfortable environment for open conversation about mental health issues on campuses nationwide.”

The club does just that and more.

It serves as an environment where students can talk freely, openly, and passionately about the things going on in their own lives, while also having the ability to give advice to other people who might be struggling. It provides individuals an opportunity to share their story, struggles, and thoughts in a judgement free zone.

Suicide Prevention Week
Photo by Dan Meyers from Unsplash

This past week, the members of the club met for about one hour and discussed therapy in detail.

Some of the topics discussed were:

How to reach out to and contact a therapist

The club and members shared resources on how to start your search for a therapist and/or how to find a therapist that will truly address your needs. Some of these resources were the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health and Psychology Today.    

Email Templates

The club provided different templates that members could use when first emailing a therapist. They suggested that all emails include your name, a telephone number you can be best reached at, the method you are seeking (in person vs. virtual platforms), and a quick explanation of why you are seeking therapy.

How to talk to others who may need help

It is extremely important and was stressed immensely that those who are struggling are in need of a support system. Members were encouraged to address their friends and loved ones with “I” statements like “I am worried about you,” or “I want to be here for you.”

How to talk to friends and family

This was the part of the meeting that really interested me most. Taking the step to tell family and friends that you are deeply struggling, experiencing a tough time, or suffering from mental health issues, can be insanely difficult, especially if you are not sure of the reaction you are going to receive. The club emphasized that creating a path to happiness is a priority and shared three very important tips for when you decide to seek help. These were that 1. Timing is important 2. It is important to know your goals and 3. Make sure you give your friends and family time to process.

On top of these extremely important discussion points, members were also allowed to share their own personal experiences with therapy and give advice to those who needed it.

It was so reassuring to know that the university has a community of individuals who come together to provide strength, love, and guidance to those who need it. It was so heartwarming to know that students have a place they can go to seek help, but also that there are so many people willing to provide help.

Image by Alexas_Fotos from Pixabay

The power that our words and actions hold can be colossal. Knowing that, it is important to remember to always lead with love, become captivated by purpose, offer guidance when you can, and to always secure healthy boundaries.

As Glennon Doyle said, “People who need help sometimes look a lot like people who don’t need help.”

Always check on your friends, family, and loved ones.

You never know how much a check-in with a friend, a phone call with a family member, or a simple smile to a stranger could drastically change the course of someone’s day.

In the coming weeks, UMass Active Minds will be discussing the power of change. Not only how to deal with it, but how to become comfortable with it as well. This is extremely important with the end of the semester, holiday season, and end of the year coming right around the corner.

For more information, I strongly encourage you to follow the Active Minds Instagram page, @umassactiveminds for more information about meetings, mental health resources, and images and quotes to push us in the right direction.

Alexis Rose

U Mass Amherst '22

Currently a junior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Alexis is a double major in the English and Special Education departments. Aside from writing, she enjoys a good iced coffee, a new TV series, going to yoga classes, and reading a book on the beach.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst