bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Tricks to Get to 10,000 Steps Each Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

I feel like everybody has a Fitbit by now, but very few people, myself included, reach their 10,000 steps a day. Sometimes 10,000 steps seems ridiculous but I’ve come up with ten easy ways to get closer to your 10,000 step goal.

1. Park in the furthest spot

Wherever you are going you can sneak in a few extra steps by parking in the far corner instead of the front row.

2. Take an extra lap around the grocery store

After grabbing all the food on your list and more, take one last lap around the grocery store to get some more steps in before checking out.

3. Walk and talk

Call your mom while going on a stroll. Mom calls you? Get off the couch and walk until she hangs up.

4. Walk the dog

Having a dog is a great way to make yourself get extra steps in every day, but if you don’t have a dog find a friend that does and join them on their dog walks.

5. Walk to campus

As the weather slowly gets warmer, ditch the car and start walking to campus.

6. Take an extra lap around the mall before leaving campus

After classes are done for the day take one final lap around the campus mall before heading home for your nap.

7. Walk while watching

Walk in place while watching your favorite TV shows, or my personal favorite, go to the gym and walk on the treadmill while binge watching Netflix.

8. Always take the stairs

Ditch the elevator and vow to always take the stairs! Yes, even if you live on the fourth floor.

9. Use the furthest bathroom

Rather than use the bathroom right outside of the classroom go to bathroom down the hall or even on a different floor.

10. Avoid the drive-through

Instead of taking the easy way out and going through the drive thru, take step one and get some extra steps by walking inside to get your coffee.