Wellness > Health

10 of my Biggest Pet Peeves at the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

1. People who don’t un-rack their GD weights.

This literally pisses me off more than anything else in the world. If you’re going to put 2 45’s on the bar (which you couldn’t even get 1 rep with) could you atleast save my valuable time and put them back where they came from. What’s even more annoying is the little 10s instead, would it really be that hard? I mean, come on, there’s nothing I can think of that’s more inconsiderate. It’s called gym courtesy people! If you haven’t heard of it, keep reading! url

2. When someone leaves the treadmill at 15% incline.

I really just wanted to warm up with a jog but that’s kinda hard when someone left their treadmill vertically in the air for me to almost trip on. And then you gotta awkwardly wait there as “incline reaches home” as I contemplate my choice of activity. Ugh. url

3. Poor attire.

You know those shirts with the stringy straps that guys wear that curve inward so you can see their nipples and their not so big chest? Yeah those are the worst. Or the girls with see-through leggings where you can see their bright pink g-string. Or they have shorts up their butt, or the guys wearing jeans. Just stop. I’m uncomfortable. url

4. Flexing in the mirror.

“It helps you get a better pump,” said the skinny kid that’s 120 lbs soaking wet. You know what really helps you get a pump? Actually lifting weights for longer than you’re making faces at yourself in the mirror. url

5. Talking more than working out.

Okay yes, it happens. You see your friend at the gym you haven’t talked to for a couple weeks and need to catch up. But at the very least, please don’t claim a machine you haven’t touched for 20 minutes. Go walk on the treadmill together or something. url

6. When they set the machine to the highest weight and their form is unspeakable.

I mean… it’s comical how extra you are. But I hope you’re aware that no one actually thinks your shredded nor will you ever be if you continue to lift like that.   url

7. Going to the stretching area with shit EVERYWHERE.

It’s really quite simple: when you use something, put it away when you’re done. It’s a 10 lb dumbbell Susie, I think you can handle it. If you don’t know, now ya know. url

8. People who cant decide which muscle they’re working on today.

I’m sorry but you just did arm curls, lat pull downs, and also leg extensions? Are you just here to make it look like you workout? Really don’t want to judge you but you’re making it hard not to. url

9. The unclean gym-goer.

It’s a gym, we’re all supposed to sweat here, and that’s okay. But we don’t need to combine our horrendous sweat and germs so could you please wipe off your machine or bench when you’re done so I don’t sit on a pile of liquid? And while we’re talking about it, since you know you’re gonna sweat, I think we’d all appreciate it if you could put some extra deodorant on before your workout. Url

10. And lastly; when you’re squatting and a random guy decides to do the machine right behind you.

Yes, we certainly do see you. And we don’t appreciate your pervertic tendencies. It’s not only obvious that you’re only on the machine behind me because you want to stare at my butt, but its completely violating! Say it with me: “G Y M  C O U R T E S Y !” url

Alpha Phi. Fitness. Aspiring business leader and loyal Miley Cyrus fan.