This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

If someone had told me that I would be this invested in the practice of yoga at age 20, five years ago my inactive, unhealthy self would have laughed. My junior year of high school was the first time I ever stepped into a hot yoga class, and I thought it would be the last. I was fully convinced I was going to end up in the hospital or pass out and I almost left the class before it even started. Well…I didn’t. I am now a junior in college and haven’t stopped since. After that first class four years ago, I was hooked, and the practice of hot yoga has changed my life for the better in several different realms.

Physical Health 

Through my yoga practice, I have been able to achieve a physique I only ever wished for as a result of the sport. The strength and flexibility I have now compared to where I started this journey is incredible and every class is an opportunity to further this. When I talk about physical health in terms of the practice of yoga, the last thing I want to associate it with is “weight loss,” and that is what I love so much about this practice. There isn’t (and shouldn’t) be an ending point when it comes to physique and yoga. There may be a reaction from your body and a change in shape or size as a result of the physical difficulties one is put through during every class, but the idea is to grow and build strength rather than “lose weight” or “stay in shape.” Those ideas are not the right reasons to continue a practice in yoga. It is about becoming more familiar with the sensations of every individual muscle in your body and truly learning what it feels like to be in your vessel. 

Mental Health

Although yoga can be incredibly demanding of your physical body, that is only a secondary to the entire core of this practice. The degree of difficulty you feel physically should be the last thing you think about because yoga all starts with easing pressure and using the mind to do that. For instance, rather than thinking, … “wow this pose is difficult to hold,” … your mind should focus in on where exactly in the pose feels difficult and how you can soften into that using the mind. The other mental aspect I love about yoga is it allows you for a full hour (or however long you practice) to let go of the reality and stress of the outside world. Yoga is an intentional time out of your busy day to focus on your body and your heart.  Yoga helps me forget how hard life can be for a second, because I am so zoned into the details of my body’s movement.

Spiritual Health 

Yoga not only improves mental and physical aspects of life, but it expands spiritually when you embrace its full power as a sport. I have found a re-connection with energies and higher power through my practice. I have observed that it takes more than just my direct physical abilities to get through the demand of yoga. I have begun to reference aspects of the practice in my day-to-day tasks as well as including prayer into the meditation portions of each class. I take mental time at the end of each session to not only thank my body and thank my mat, but also to thank God for allowing me the time and space.

I encourage all who are thinking about starting, to begin what is calling you. It is a beautiful process to watch and allow yoga to change aspects of your life. I can fully and confidently say, I would not be where I am today without it. I challenge you to start your journey, and if you have already, I hope it has brought as much joy for you as me. 

Hi I'm Emily! I am a second year journalism mass communications major with a second area of study in Entrepreneurial Management and a minor in theater arts. I am so excited to be writing for Her Campus UIowa Instagram: @emilycolitte