A Clueless Girl’s Guide To Working Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Back in the days of high school, we all were forced to workout in some way and were told what exercises, which machines, and how many reps to do. Now we’re all grown up, and our metabolisms are slowing, and our minds are occupied with one habitual line: “Shoot, I really should go to the gym more often.”

But let’s be real here: the gym is terrifying, especially if you’re inexperienced with how the whole thing works. And even if you do make it to the gym, where do you start? Does this mean working out is no longer an option for you? Nope! We all have to start somewhere, so we might as well make it today. I’ve been there, done that, and I survived to tell the tale of how one clueless girl can start her path to fitness success.

1. Don’t start with the gym

While going to the gym sounds so productive, walking in there blind can really ruin one’s motivation to workout. In my experience, starting at home and finding a routine you like will help rid you of your gym anxiety later on and make you feel more confident when you step through those shiny doors. You’ll know what to do and won’t focus on wondering if everyone else is questioning your knowledge of the space around you.

2.  Pull out Pinterest

Assuming most of us have invested time into the wonderful website that it Pinterest, whip out your app and start scrolling immediately. Think about which part of your body you want to focus on first and then type [*body part of choice* workout] into the search bar and you’ll be presented with countless options of workouts tailored to your needs. This gives you a finish line, too; you’ll know when your workout ends and will have that point as a goal to motivate you through the rest of the workout.

3. Stop telling yourself you can’t

You’ve probably heard the phrase, “The only thing holding you back is yourself,” before, and it couldn’t be more relevant when it comes to working out. If you constantly bash on yourself and convince yourself you’re too weak to finish your workout, your mind won’t be in the right place, you’ll slack off, and your workout will be ineffective. Don’t do this to yourself. Pump yourself up! Tell yourself, “You go, girl,” and reward yourself throughout your workout for being a boss ass babe who’s putting in work.  

4. STRETCH

Simple as that. Stretch before, stretch after. You don’t want to wake up in the morning so sore that you can’t workout again for an entire week until your body heals. Without stretching after a workout, your muscles will recover slower and be more fatigued. Plus, that muscle tone you’re expecting? You can kiss that goodbye without a good stretch. After your routine, drink a protein shake, stretch your muscles and let your body relax. 

Now that you have the simple tips to kicking off your year of fitness, get going, collegiettes! You’ve got this one. 

Hey, I'm Emma! I’m a lover of writing as much as I am a lover of mochas, breakfast food, and all things striped. As of right now, I am a freshman at the University of Iowa, studying Journalism and Mass Communications.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.