Worry No More- A Collegiette’s Guide to Braving the Weight Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In today’s world, more and more women are looking to strength training to stay in shape and improve their overall fitness.  The media of the past that discouraged women from weight training for fear of appearing too masculine has now been replaced by inspirational social media like the @befitphotos and @fltness instagram accounts that show girls the benefits of being strong.  Although it seems like hours of intense cardio is the only way to burn tons of fat, weight training builds muscle- and the more muscle you have, the more fat you will burn while working out and even doing every day activities!

So maybe you decided to start lifting this summer at your hometown gym, where your only company was the jazzercising old ladies and you were free to move about the weight room whenever you pleased.  Or maybe you’re just starting to add weight training into your workout routine now, and you’re a little nervous about getting started.  Whatever your case may be, weight rooms at a college rec center can be a little (a.k.a. VERY) intimidating at first.  I started lifting this summer at a small gym on my block where I never had to wait for a machine.  The first time I went to the weight room at school and saw a crowded room full of cute, sweaty boys grunting and intensely working out, I did a complete 180 and sprinted to the elliptical!  After a week of avoidance I finally mustered up the courage to go back, and it was so worth it.  I got over my fear using some of these helpful tips:

1.  Know when to go.

Us large school collegiettes know the best time to go to the gym is pretty much, well, never.  That’s not to say that certain times aren’t better than others though! Most people try and get workouts in before their classes, so the weight room tends to empty out a little around the time that classes start (for example, there’s usually a lull around 8AM as people leave for 8:15 classes!).  With less people, there will be more room to work out and you’re less likely to have to wait for a machine or bench.

2.  Buddy up.

Everything can be less intimidating with your girls by your side, so why not use this tactic at the gym? So instead of going it alone, grab a gal and take the weight room by storm.  Working out with friends adds extra motivation, and can be really fun.  Just remember to keep your chit chat to a minimum and focus on your workout- nothing is more annoying than people hogging equipment and not even using it!

3.  Follow the rules.

Every gym has rules that are likely posted all around the rec center regarding dress code and general behavior.  Following these is a given, but there is also some common weight room etiquette that newbies might not be familiar with.  For example, always put everything back where you found it and avoid dropping or slamming weights and disturbing others.  And always make sure no one’s using a piece of equipment before you jump right in- this is one of the biggest complaints guys have about girls at the gym! Oftentimes gymgoers have circuits where they do a sequence of exercises with different equipment.  No one should hog all of the machines, so ask if you can jump in and use them during their rest period.  Being polite and considerate is just as important in the weight room as it is in life!

4. Do your research- come prepared!

Coming into the weight room with no idea where to start is sure to leave you disappointed and unsatisfied.  So do your research on different weight training exercises ahead of time.  You won’t benefit from doing exercises wrong, and that can even be very dangerous.  Ask a friend, coach, or search the web! There are plenty of resources out there. Record all of the exercises and amount of reps that you plan to do on a spreadsheet, notebook, or your phone and bring it to the gym with you.  When you do an exercise, record how much weight you used and how many reps you did so that the next time you do it you can try to improve.  I like to set my workout plan as my phone background so I don’t have to keep looking through my pictures to find it!  There are also apps like Fitness Buddy that explain how to do exercises (this one even has moving diagrams!) and have a journal for you to record your progress. 

5.  Be confident!

The bottom line is, no matter how much experience you have, everyone has the privilege of using the school gym.  You have as much of a right to be in the weight room as the 250 pound rugby player on the bench next to you.  So get your pumped up playlist ready, and walk right into that weight room.  Pretty soon you won’t even remember why you were so nervous!

Image: http://fitness.makeupandbeauty…

Sarah is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UConn. She is a Communication and Journalism major at the University of Connecticut newly suffering from the travel bug after a summer in Spain and an obsession with all things UConn Husky Basketball.