bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Personal Development Books You Need in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Mental health care, unfortunately, still has a stigma cloud hanging over its head, claiming it’s unnecessary and self-centered. In reality, your mental state plays a large role in how well you’re doing in class, your physical health, your interactions with friends and family, and more. 

It should be seen as a priority rather than a selfish act to work one one’s mental health, and the most effective way in my life has been by reading personal development books. Here are the top five personal development books you need in your life:

1. You Are a Baddass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero

Jen Sincero is the queen of personal development books. You truly feel like you take on the world, achieve your dreams and live your best life when reading her books. Her witty writing and relatable stories makes it extremely hard to put down the book. In this book she talks about all aspects of your life from your friendships and your relationship with money to your relationship to yourself. If you’re someone who is just starting getting into personal development books I would say this is the perfect one to start with.

2. The Secret by Rhonda Byrne

Now this book changed my life completely. It introduced me to the Law of Attraction. Before my skeptics out there try to tear it down, read this book first! The book features very well-known motivational speakers and writers including Jack Canfield, the writer of Chicken Soup for the Soul, and Oprah Winfrey has even talked about how much she loves this book. This book explains the Law of Attraction in simplest terms and gives loads of examples to make it easy to understand as well as start practicing.

3. Creating Money: Attracting Abundance by Sanaya Roman and Duane Packer

Even though this book has money in the title, that is not the only topic it discusses. This was my first ever self-help book, and it changed my mindset completely. For example, it talks about not getting jealous about other people’s success because it was not meant for you, and once I heard this, it all made sense. If you’re just getting into self-love and personal development this is also great starter book for you.

4. You Are a Baddass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth by Jen Sincero

If you’re someone who has a bad relationship with money (aka always criticizing yourself for spending/treating yourself) then this is the perfect book for you. Jen goes into detail on why our relationship with money needs to change, because if you’re constantly thinking in lack you’re always going to be in like. This book focuses only on the topic of money, so if you’re looking for something that covers all topics like relationships, body image, etc., then this is not the one for you.

5. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Now this book is completely different from the rest. This is more of a story, so it’s not going to directly give you tips and tricks in regards to your personal development, instead it gives you a lot of metaphors that you have to work through. I really enjoyed this book because after reading a number of personal development books this one felt like a breath of fresh air. If you’re more into fictional books rather than the typical step-by-step books than this one is the perfect one for you.

Hopefully some of these books can help change your mindset, no matter what situation you may be in. 

Sade is currently a senior at UConn, and is enrolled as a Human Development and Family Studies major. Sade enjoys binge-watching youtube videos, doing her makeup, and people who get her name right the first time meeting her (shah-day). Sade hopes to go into early education, preferably into teaching at a head start or birth-to-three center.