Wellness > Health

10 Very Real Tips for Getting Into Working Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Content Warning: Potentially sensitive topics, such as eating habits, eating restrictions, and body image is mentioned in this article. 

Working out can be a hard topic to discuss or even think about, for countless reasons. Kudos to you for being here. For some people, working out is a personality trait. Others are currently on a journey to make working out a part of their lifestyle. Like myself, maybe you were a multi-sport athlete your entire life but stopped playing sports when college started. Or, maybe you have never really been into exercising, and you want to incorporate it into your life somehow. Maybe you’ve very into fitness, but find yourself falling out of a workout routine every now and then. Whatever it is and whoever you are, I’m here for you. Before I get to my tips for how to get into working out, let me give you my main takeaway. 

Your journey is 24/7. Reading this article is a part of your journey (a big part!!!). Not having the motivation to work out? That’s a part of your journey. Going for a walk? Also a part of your journey. Doing an intense full-body workout you found on YouTube because you think that’s the best way to get right into it, but not being able to physically sit on the toilet the next day? Yup. Journey. Instead of seeing these occurrences as lazy days, epic fails, and bumps in the road, I strongly encourage you to see them as stepping stones. Every time you face a challenge and overcome it you are getting closer to your goal, no matter what that looks like for you.

Now, let’s get into it. Here are my 10 tips for getting into a workout routine:

Journal

Not the most conventional tip, I know, but hear me out. Journaling is a habit that I’d recommend to anyone for any reason. It wasn’t until a few months ago that I realized… it actually works. I’m not talking about a workout log where you’re keeping track of your workouts or diet. I’m talking about raw, stream-of-consciousness journaling. Write about what makes it difficult to get into a workout routine. Write about how you feel after you’ve done any kind of exercise. Write about what you think are the benefits of working out, or maybe what stinks about working out.  Whatever it is, simply reflect on how your personal situation makes you feel. Vent to your notebook (yes, handwrite it). Let it all out. I promise it will make you feel centered, and give you a more clear idea as to why and how you want to incorporate working out into your lifestyle. 

80% nutrition, 20% exercise 

You’ve probably heard this one. So much of a healthy lifestyle depends on how you nourish and fuel your body. This isn’t your sign to go on a diet, to limit your calorie intake, or stop eating carbs. I’m not a nutritionist or dietician. From what I know, however, eating healthy is critical to live a healthy life in general. Working out simply enhances that effect. It’s all about balance when it comes to eating. Treat yourself to that chocolate fudge cake on a Friday night, but don’t forget to eat your fruits and veggies! 

Drink a lot of water

I’m just going to leave it at that. We all know how important it is. Go get that H2O. Pronto.

Get into a regular sleep routine

I cannot emphasize this one enough. Sleeping 8+ hours a night, and trying your best to stay on a consistent schedule is crucial for performing any kind of daily tasks. For working out specifically, your deep sleep stage is where your growth hormone is released, which restores your muscles overnight. Besides, who doesn’t love a good slumber?

Shift your mindset. Do it to feel good.

In my experience, getting into working out has been difficult because I was doing it for the wrong reasons for the longest time. I played sports competitively my entire life up until college, so I was used to staying fit in order to enhance my performance. When it came to working out recreationally (aka not for a sport), my purpose was distorted. I kept being guilt-tripped into working out because of fitness models and influencers on Instagram and Tik Tok. Mainstream workout content made me feel like I needed to work out with the purpose of looking a certain way. After months and months of this arduous process, I finally shifted my mindset. Instead of focusing on looking good, I decided to start working out to feel good. My motto is that when you feel good, you look good. Period. Additionally, there are countless benefits to moving your body every day, in some way shape or form, and my next tip is about just that. 

Set small goals

Always start with “small” steps. I put quotation marks around the word small, because they’re actually huge. Even the steps that seem tiny can often feel like a milestone to you personally. Let yourself be proud of that feeling. Don’t minimize it! Here’s my experience with setting “small” goals. I’m currently on 10 straight days of moving my body. I made it a goal for the month of February, and I’m going strong. Some days have been soothing yoga, others have been intense weight training, others walking, and others a simple stretch session to relieve tension. It doesn’t really matter what you do. If you commit to moving your body every day, it inevitably becomes a habit, and you only grow from there. 

Invest in athleisure you feel confident in

I know spending on workout clothes can seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. There are so many affordable options out there that you can feel good in. All it takes is a little research. I’m personally a big fan of Aerie’s activewear line. Overall, the purpose of investing in athleisure is to add a little confidence and sparkle to your workouts. You deserve to look in the mirror and feel good. Don’t let yourself think otherwise. 

Small weights (or no weights) go a long way

You do not need to lift crazy heavy weights to get a good workout in. Listen to me when I tell you that anything between 3-10 pound weights can be killer, depending on what you’re doing. Weights can be an added feature for your workouts, but they’re not necessary nor do they have to be heavy. Some of the best exercises for your body are actually bodyweight exercises, meaning absolutely no equipment is required. These kinds of exercises are practical, and they’re very beneficial for improving strength, flexibility, balance, and coordination. 

Find your style

This is trial and error. I’ve tried so many different things, including YouTube workouts, programs like Beachbody, I’ve built my own workouts from doing a little research, and it all comes down to how I’m feeling. Maybe one day I’m not feeling inspired so I follow a fitness instructor. Other days I really want to focus on myself, my body, and some music, so I build my own workout. Sometimes I’ll go on Pinterest and find an illustration of a straightforward workout that I can follow. Everyone has their own style, and oftentimes you can switch between different styles depending on how you’re feeling that day. Don’t feel like you have to put yourself in a box and stick to a certain way of working out. Switching it up keeps things interesting.

Listen to your body

Lastly, and arguably my most important tip. If you are to take anything away from this article, let it be this. Do not force yourself to do anything your body does not want to do. Sure, maybe some days when you’re feeling lazy you need to give yourself a little nudge to get moving. That’s perfectly normal. You’re not going to be extremely motivated every single day. But when your body is physically telling you: “I cannot do this right now”, listen to it. Staying on a routine is only going to be more difficult if you’re not enjoying what you’re doing and if it is inflicting pain or discomfort. You are your best self when you feel good. Don’t ignore your body’s signals to the point where you’re not going to be able to squat onto the toilet the next day. 

Long story short, it’s tough. I get it. Please be kind to yourself. I’m learning that every day, right there with you! When you are patient with yourself, and you go about working out in the healthiest way possible, it does become a beautiful habit, and a hard one to break. I encourage you to not only believe in yourself, but to trust that you deserve to feel good. 

Sofia is a Junior studying Psychology on a Pre-Law track. She is from San Juan, Puerto Rico, and recently moved to CT! Sofia loves to write about lifestyle choices and tips, and she's always down to grab a cup of coffee, read a good book, or watch Friends. In the future, she hopes to become a lawyer and advocate for her community.