Wellness > Health

No Gym? No Problem- How to Get Some Exercise in Outside of the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

My fitness regimen looks a little different these days. 

Before the pandemic, getting a workout in was as easy as putting on my trainers and taking the 5-minute walk from my apartment to the gym. But that was 8 (!) months ago when a lot more gyms were open. With the new (and for the record, more than necessary) restrictions in place, a lot of gyms and studios have had to close. For a lot of us, our closest gym is now much too far to commit to going to regularly. But this doesn’t mean that exercise should be a thing of the past. 

We all know the benefits that a good workout session can bring. For one, it’s a great stress reliever and I’m sure I’m not the only one experiencing a little more stress than usual these days. Also, it’s a great way to fit some activity into what can be an otherwise sedentary lifestyle. For these and other reasons, I was reluctant to stop exercising all together even despite the closure of my gym. But I never had to, thanks to these tips.

1. Yoga

Are you looking to calm your mind and improve your flexibility? How about fit an intense workout in less than half an hour? Depending on your goals, there are so many different types of yoga instructors on YouTube ready to help you reach them. Yoga with Adriene’s channel is a great place to start.

2. Buy a skipping rope

I got mine for less than 10 dollars and it’s one of the best things I’ve gotten in the past few months. You need a lot less space than you may think and a few minutes of intense jumping will have your heart racing. Unfortunately, skipping isn’t very apartment-friendly so try to keep your downstairs neighbors in mind if you decide to try it out.

3. Do a YouTube workout

Chloe Ting’s ab challenge anyone? If this idea makes you shudder (much like her plank challenge will), there are thousands of workout videos you can follow or use for inspiration when planning your next workout. The best part is realizing you can work up a decent sweat without very much equipment.

4. Walk more

Heading out to meet a friend for some (socially distanced) fun? Consider walking instead of driving or taking the bus. It’s a great way to get some fresh air and move your limbs a bit more than you typically would. Take the scenic route to get even more steps in.

One of the best things about exercise is its impact on my mental health. Incorporating each of these tips into my routine has meant I haven’t had to sacrifice it, even despite my neighborhood gym having closed. Creating a personalized workout routine is subjective to your individual needs; hopefully, these ideas provide some inspiration for your next workout session.

Ver-Se Denga

U Alberta '21

Ver-Se is in her 4th year of uni, studying Biology and Psychology and serving as Senior Editor of the UAlberta Chapter. She loves to read and can't imagine a world without Chimamanda Adichie in it.